Lost in plantation


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
October 14th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

ConcepcionConcepcionConcepcion

active volcano
After failing to see any volcanoes in Costa Rica, we thought we'd stand a better chance by actually staying on one. Isla de Ometepe boasts 2 volcanoes in the middle of the largest freshwater lake in Central America. Having the choice, we felt it was probably wiser and safe to stay on the extinct rather than active...

In Ometepe we stayed at Finca Magdelena, in coffee farm barn which we shared with a pair of bats, too many huge, drunken moths, and pigs, chickens, cows, horses and howler monkeys for neighbours. Definitely worth $3 per night.

Turns out it wasn't that wise. A trip to the cash machine involved a 15km walk, getting lost in a banana plantation in search of food and water, and 3 bus journeys, in total taking us 10 hours.

Turns out it wasn't that safe either. Within the walls of the Finca Lexie managed to get scratched by a pet pizote, stung by a scorpion, and loose a lizard in her clothes (whilst wearing them).

Concious of how crap we are, at most things, we chose the easier volcano to climb. Confident we'd be back in time for lunch, we set off
Bus stopBus stopBus stop

lexie and a local
fully equipped with a cereal bar and a bottle of water. Within an hour, hungry and exhausted, Lexie got fed up whilst Emily kept morale going as we believed we were near the summit. 3 hours later she was fuming, as the view from the top was obscured and better from our Finca. Lexie's mood and energy levels improved no end, as it meant we could begin our journey back for a late lunch. This was not to be.
The mud and rocks impeded our journey, as did our injuries and navigational skills. We seem to be drawn to banana plantations, these were definitely not en route. When tired, hungry, thirsty, and injured the last thing you want to do is pick up a stick and bash your way through the undergrowth in search for any path. 9.5 hours later (yes, this did take us less time than the cash machine) we were back at the Finca looking attrocious. Can't wait to do the next one!

Thats enough of nature, we need proper showers.
Smell you later x


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

worth $3 por noche
Pre-volcanoPre-volcano
Pre-volcano

before we set out for the day
SummitSummit
Summit

...happy


16th October 2011

having studied all your pictures, blog and facebook we all now have much better idea of what a wonderful time your having, but it sounds like a lot of hard work & never ending bus journeys! It all sounds facinating to us sitting here eating scones.. Wild life sounds interesting if a bit scary. Look forward to the next installment.. Luv mum, Nan & Steve xxxx

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb