Sandinista Land


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The red and black flag First time visitors to Nicaragua could be forgiven for thinking that the country's flag is red and black, but this is in fact the Sandinista Flag, which we noticed flying everywhere, almost from the moment we crossed the border, and which is much more prominent than the official blue and white Nicaraguan flag. Politics is never far away in Nicaragua, and almost every town ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nicaraguan PoliticsNicaraguan Politics
Nicaraguan Politics

Ortega (the current President and leader of the Sandinistas) is compared to Somoza, the brutal dictator.
FSLN statueFSLN statue
FSLN statue

Yet another FSLN statue, this time in Matagalpa.
Good Nicaraguan FoodGood Nicaraguan Food
Good Nicaraguan Food

Anafre was our favourite Nicaraguan dish. It consists of refried beans, cheese, and nachos served in a cool ceramic pot with imitation pre-Columbian art. Delicious!
Chapel in the forestChapel in the forest
Chapel in the forest

This beautiful chapel in the forest was built for a family wedding by the owner of Selva Negra.
Coffee AddictsCoffee Addicts
Coffee Addicts

It might look at first like a scoresheet in the Eurovision, but it is in fact a list of the world´s highest consumers of coffee. Ireland sneaks in at the end, but has a long way to go to catch Finland.
Civil War leftoversCivil War leftovers
Civil War leftovers

This tank is a useful signpost for the turnoff for the Selva Negra Reserve.



12th August 2008

Ometepe sunset was fascinating and so sclourful
12th August 2008

nicas
nice blogging . well done. stories and photos. nicalandia is one of my faves (2003, 2004) except from Altagracia I took the ferry to San Carlos and headed down the Rio San Juan past el Castillo. When I got sick with parasites the sandanista doctora cured me in a few days with her magic pills and refused payment. From Castillo we doubled back to Rio Frio and travelled down into Costa Rica and ended up in Montezuma. I suppose you'll head north to Guatemala or Honduras. I've been in Quito exactly on week. Bought a bike and will take it to Manta by bus tomorrow. I'm older now so am more of a homebody and won't be on the go for the next month as much as you two, but I'll definitely his the "poor mans Galapagos" and Manta. Happy trails. You ought to publish a book.
13th August 2008

Nica!
Your blog brought back so many wonderful memories of my trip there 2 yrs. back...lovely Granada. And Selva Negra! I stayed there alone for a few days to enjoy the nature and hike the trails. Amazing country- I can't wait to go back someday soon. And that that Flor de Cana rum...not bad at all. Enjoyed quite a bit of it! :-)
13th August 2008

Nica...love it!
Next time you must visit Jinotega too, north of Matagalpa. And stay overnight at Selva Negra ...the howler monkeys are super active in the morning and scurry right though the lodge trees if you're lucky. I was in Matagalpa on Sandinista Independence Day last year. It was quite an experience...young Sandis running all around the town on the back of trucks waving flags and such. I was a little nervous being there on my own. The locals told me not to go out because the revelers get a little out of control. Staying in was not a problem since I came down with a traveler's stomach that night! I'm so glad you enjoyed and recommended Nica. I'm so fond of it and dream of going back. Definitely my favorite country in Central America....Panama is #2.
13th August 2008

Nicoya rules
You captured great pics. Recently went to Nicaragua on a mission trip. Spent most of the time in the North Esteli, Nueva Segovia and Somoto. I had the best time of my life. Wonderful peple and beatiful nature.
14th August 2008

Fantastico!
Still keeping up with your blogs. At least this site isn't banned in Syria unlike Facebook!! Great photos.
2nd June 2010

nicaragua
hey,how are you i was just browsing on sandinista flag flamming and found this great site on nicaragua,i have a uncle whos a consejal for the sandinista,Im back in nicaragua and i have no choice but to cope with my family who speaks disgustigly about american i have two kids who are born in florida.my parents are us citezen.i would like to add you on my yahoo messenger if its ok with you .thank you take care
10th June 2011
Carlos Fonseca Amador

holla
las fotosde carlos foseca que se i sieron

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb