Rice 'n' beans & rum


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
December 7th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ReindeerReindeerReindeer

It SO doesn't feel like December here!
Nicaragua is lovely! I think it is one of my favourite countries so far! The weirdest thing is seeing all sorts of Xmas decorations and trees being sold in sunny streets- very bizarre! The weather has been amazing everyday- sometimes it's uncomfortably hot just walking in the street!

Have been eating a lot of rice and beans! Yum, I love it! In Nicaragua they cook it together with onions and spices and call it 'gallo pinto'.

Leon and Granada are both colonial towns, so they are really pretty to walk round. There are squillions of churches and cathedrals here, including the biggest one in the whole of Central America. You can climb up the bell towers to walk on the top and get a nice view of the city.

I had a lovely day at a nearby beach just chilling out and sunbathing all day.

The rum here is really good and really cheap! Have been drinking far to much of it- am in need of a detox at the moment! I've met more English people in the past 2 weeks than I have in the rest of my trip put together.
I've been hanging out with a lovely English couple called Carl & Jane for the last week. I don't think I'm being too much of a gooseberry!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

bell on cathedralbell on cathedral
bell on cathedral

My caption writing is getting more and more exciting!
Las Penitas sunsetLas Penitas sunset
Las Penitas sunset

Lovely beach an hour away from Leon.
Granada buildingsGranada buildings
Granada buildings

looks like a film set!
The best rum in the world!The best rum in the world!
The best rum in the world!

(it is dangerously good!)
The start of messy evening with Jane & Karl from England and Hajar from Canada.The start of messy evening with Jane & Karl from England and Hajar from Canada.
The start of messy evening with Jane & Karl from England and Hajar from Canada.

3 bottles of rum between 4 people is never a good idea!
Disco Jesus and Mary!Disco Jesus and Mary!
Disco Jesus and Mary!

They are paraded through the streets and into a church every night for 9 days before a festival. Random!
Strange naked acrobats!Strange naked acrobats!
Strange naked acrobats!

Don't worry, this isn't supposed to be rude! It was in a museum demonstrating some of the pastimes of people in the olden days. Very bizarre. I laughed a lot!


9th December 2007

Too much rum
I expect those strange naked acrobats were quite normal before they started on the rum! Take heed!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb