Nicaragua..Wecome with Open Arms!


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
November 26th 2004
Published: November 26th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Nicaragua..Welcome with open arms!!
Nicaragua, Central America


Bordered by Costa Rica on the South and Honduras to the North,
Nicaragua or "Nica" is undergoing quite a renaissance including the development of sustainable tourism and retirement communties after years of conflict, political strife
And endemic corruption.

Our Nicaraguan Friends operate a small family run hotel in Masaya, only 17 miles or 24 km. from Managua and are able to arrange for visitors tours and transportation along with bilingual guide services if required.

For those interested in coming down personally to Nicaragua and looking around for themselves with their own eyeballs at
charming Colonial Granada, unspoiled Pacific Beaches near San Juan del
Sur, enchanting mountain towns of Esteli and Matagalpa and much much more. You be
the judge. No restrictions on land purchases for foreigners or just look rent seasonally
if you like. You be the judge. PS Baseball, not Soccer, is the national
sport, bring your Glove, Bat and Ball if you play!

If interested E mail donaldlee@thepolyglots. com for a personal reply. We are neither “Real Estate Agents nor Time Share Salespeople”. We are a small group of natives and Ex Pats who live and work in the region and have raised families like yourselves and understand all your concerns regarding picking up and “moving abroad” as we once did. Now more information for you in a “nutshell”:

"Welcome with open arms"

Central America Language Tours has recently contracted the services of expert guides based in the the capital city of Managua and nearby Masaya.

León is Nicaragua's second largest city and also the academic and cultural center of the country where Nicaragua's revered Poet Laurate Rubén Dario is entombed.

Some 20 Km. south from León lies te active Volcano Cerro Negro replete with it's steaming Geysers. The entire area was nearly destroyed in 1998 after an eruption of the Volcano occured during 'Hurricane Mitch', burying thousands of square kilometers in volcanic ash.

Nicaragua is no stranger to tradgedy. The country has been at peace since 1990 after the long Contra-Sandinista War while offical corruption and poverty still haunt the brave Nicaraguan people, who are the most open and friendly to visitors in Central America, if coming from Guatemala and El Salvador you will be suprised to see there is no "bargaining" in the Crafts Markets, since fair prices are set in a co-operative spirit.

Safety: Outside of slum areas and crowded marketplaces ringing the capital city of Managua, assaults and petty theft are rare occurences, however due to endemic poverty in some areas, take precautions with your valuables, especially with cameras, credit cards and jewelery. Within cities and towns at night always take taxis to and from your destination.

Managua is quite spread out with no "downtown" or city centre (destroyed by Earthquake in 1972 and never rebuilt) so taxis or hired transport, preferably with a bilingual guide on first visit is recommended. City streets are generally unnamed and all addresses are in Meters or Varas from a “point of reference” such as Lake Managua or the imposing Pyramid of Hotel InterContinental etc. such as "150 Varas South of the Lake Shore where the Old Tree once stood" etc. Happy navigating!

Nicaragua is described as a nation of Dreamers, Poets and Politicians and the Nicaraguans are more than eager to share their feelings or to even engage in lively debate with you if you wish in contrast to some neighboring Central american nations.

Nicaragua offers to the traveler:

Granada - The oldest colonial city in the Americas, nestled on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, Latin America's second largest inland Lake, boasting hundreds of exotic islands from large to small, an untouched tropical paradise only 2 hours from Managua.
Masaya - Arts and Crafts Center of all Nicaragua with the largest Crafts Market in the country. Surrounding indingenous villages, the Laguana and the Volcano offer a variety of day trips. Stay at the "Hotel Madera's Inn" Center of town for great service and expert tourist advice.
Beaches - Head on to San Juan del Sur in the south of the country where cliffs meet the seashore surrounded by inland national parks and forest preserves. 18% of Nicaragua's total land area is now protected by Governmental and Non-Governmental (International) organizations.
Coffee Plantations - Visit the city of Matagalpa in Nicaragua's Central Highlands, a bustling commercial center that is still recovering from the long FSLN (Sandanista) - Contra conflict of 1979-1990 that ravaged the area. The founders of the FSLN Revolutionary Movement are memorialized there and Matagalpa is a great stop for both the eco and socially concious traveller.
The Caribbean - Much of Nicaragua's land area lies on the Eastern or Caribbean side of the country, much of it undeveloped as opposed to the Pacific side, where more than 90% of Nicaragua's population resides. Start with a boat trip from Ramas to Bluefields on the Caribbean Coast, a ramshackle settlement founded by British and Dutch Pirates (originally called Blauwfelds) fighting the Spanish in the 17th Century and from there you may fly to the exotic Corn Islands, white sand beaches and crystal clear blue waters.
Rio San Juan - Do not miss a trip down the Rio San Juan through Rain Forest preserves. This River is the dividing line between Costa Rica and Nicaragua and flows from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean, Nicaraguan guides and tour operators are able to arrange excursions for you, from a day to a week.

PS, leave your Soccer Ball at home and bring your Baseball Bat and Glove** Like Cuba, The Dominican Republic and Venezuela Nicaraguans are "Baseball Crazy". You will find both children and young adults everywhere in the countryside playing. **Central America Language Tours accepts donations of used Baseball equipment, as many young people are using improvised bats from sticks and homemade balls. Don't come as a "tourist" come as a "hero" and if you can play all the better!

Spanish Language Schools are found mainly in León and Granada (see above) and The Polyglots are able to assist you in finding the best program suited to your needs. Please contact me well in advance of your departure so as to make it possible for me to make all arrangements for you in order that you will have a completely hassle free journey from arrival at the airport through departure time.

Nicaragua is very economical. Our associates there will be pleased to serve you during the coming years – All tours, transport and guide services may be arranged in advance, to suit your budget – not ours!

“For the Budget or Business Traveller with Champagne Taste”

“Euro and Gringo Friendly”

Spanish Language and volunteer programs available:

The Polyglots Central America
http://www .thepolyglots. com/

E mail donaldlee@thepolyglots. com
_________________
Donald T. Lee
Travel Consultant
Central America





Advertisement



1st March 2006

Photo Gallery of Nicaragua (c) Harold Adler
http://www.pbase.com/adlerphotos/ncaragua_2006 This is a Link to a Gallery of my Photos of Nicaragua

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb