Hola from San Juan Del Sur


Advertisement
Published: January 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola Familia y Amigos,

We have been in Nicaragua a week now. We arrived in Managua then caught an early morning bus to San Juan del Sur, a small beach town on the Pacific coast near the Costa Rica border. It is a tourist town so there are many travelers from all over the world here. We have been taking Spanish lessons everyday, hence the reason for no postings until now. We have school each morning for 4 hours then activities each afternoon. We are staying with a local family that is just wonderful and very helpful with our Spanish. They have two sons who were living in New Orleans when the hurricane hit. They both lost everything they had in the hurricane so they are back home in Nicaragua for now. It was certainly interesting to hear their stories. They both speak english very well, which has been helpful to us. One of them has a wife from the states and small child. Not the total immersion we were expecting, however, that is fine for us. We are getting plenty of Spanish. As Terry says ''I have Spanish leaking out of my ears.'' Our Spanish is improving, little by little each day. Their sister is going to be 15 on the 22nd, she speaks very good english as well and likes to help us. In Nicaragua they have a big party for the girls at 15, like they do in Mexico at the age of 16. We plan on staying longer than planned so we can attend the fiesta. Terry's birthday is the 21st, the same day as the mother of the house. So we will stay to celebrate all the birthdays. The brothers bought the girl a new motorscooter for her birthday and is she excited about that. These people are exceptionally warm and make us feel very welcome. I need to head back to school for a history lesson, so I must cut this short. If someone could please update me on Johnny's condition I would appreciate it, I am thinking of you often John. For those who don't know, John is my brother who is battling brain cancer, he was on his way to Duke University for a craniotomy on the day we left. If you are so inclined, please say a prayer for him.

Well until next time, hasta luego. I will post photos soon, right now I am running late for school so I do not have enough time, just wanted to let you all know that all is well for us.

With Love from Kathy and Terry

Advertisement



13th January 2006

Hola reply
Glad to here from you two and that your Spanish is improving. Just got back to yoga after holidays and having a cold so I am a little stiff today. Don has fireplace completely done,looks awesome. Weather has been sunny, but cold. Plan on doing a little X country skiing tomorrow. Will give all a copy of e-mail at Bistro this evening. Plus praying for your brother John. Love, Betty and Don
17th January 2006

Hello you two, We just returned from Duke. John did exceptionally well. His brain surgery did show more cancer but a lot of the concerns shown on his December MRI was radiation debris. He had the trial infusion for three days deliverd directly to his brain and was discharged Sat. the 14th. Took a lot of courage and faith. It was quite grueling and painful, especially with the craniotomy and then the infusion, but he made it. Now it is wait and see, lots of follow up at Duke. What he heard form the research team over and over is that he was an ideal candidate for the trial. We will continue to pray hard!!! For Karen too!!! She was a trooper during it all. Enjoy the warmth. LOTS of snow again love, alice

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb