Ometepe


Advertisement

We managed to get to the Island of Ometepe on the Saturday of easter week end. The prosessions that we had looked so forward to were not that great - damn tourists, never happy.
We caught a bus to the port of San Jorge to board the ferry to the island. It was a like new years day on Durban beach front and there were people every where.
A quick ferry trip and we were there. The mystical Island of Ometepe, home to two volcanoes, one still active. The finca (farm accomodation) we chose to stay at was on the opposite side of the island so onto the chicken bus we climbed. The bus dropped us half way for some reason , but we had met 2 Mexican guys who were heading the same way and with their help we managed to hitch a ride on the back of a truck to a town close to the Finca. As night fell we were forced to pay a "cab" to take us the rest of the way.
FINCA MAGDELANA. What a cool concept. It was an organic farm, run by 25 families as a co-opperative. They offered accomodation for weary travellers and had a good review in the guide book which insured they had loads of guests. Now you all know that I am not one to complain........BUT in the 2 years since the guide had been written a few things had changed. Besides the bats in the dorm rooms, the cute mice in the restuarant - there was no boss and so nobody gave a damn. From your bill being calculated and checked by 4 different people (which could take up to an hour), to running out of food (no other place to eat within a kilometer) and waiting 40 minutes for a black coffee (with 4 other people in the restuarant)..... it was not the best place we stayed at!
But the location was good, we went for a swim in the lake, walked around the area, we did not quite get around to the 8 hour climb up the nearby volcano but we had a good time.

There were a big group (12) travelers leaving the next day, so everybody shared the cost of hiring a mini van to take us to the ferry.
A snug ride back to the main land and we were on our way.....back to the Pacific Coast for some more sun and sea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb