Nicaragua


Advertisement

The Ferry To Ometepe IslandThe Ferry To Ometepe IslandThe Ferry To Ometepe Island

The packed ferry, where plenty of people got soaked!!
The drive across the border from Monteverde to Nicaragua took 4 hours. We made a journey from Rivas, then taxi to San Jorge, and then a ferry across the lake to the Island of Ometepe. Ometepe is dominated by an impressive volcano on its horizon, a Hollywood looking Volcano! The ferry wasn't an official one, and was an experience! We were all crammed in to the lower deck, us and many locals, and there was a strong wind, so it was fairly rough water. It was a very old boat, and the water was pouring inside from all angles, some people soaked!!

We arrived at the Island after an hour on the 'ferry', and it was beautiful. There were palm trees dotted right along its coastline, and the volcano towering above everything in the background. It was sunset too, and the sky was amazing. We stayed in the Santa Domingo part of the Island, and in a nice secluded hotel, right on the beach itself. After a long day, we had dinner, and then to bed.

Tuesday the 7th March, I got up the next morning, and by myself decided to walk along this paradise coastline. The beach was
Ometepe VolcanoOmetepe VolcanoOmetepe Volcano

The Volcano shadows the Island
very small, and not really clean enough to lay around on, nor the lake water that clean looking to really swim in, but it was really nice lapping up the hot sun, and walking along the coastline. There were birds and even pigs on the beach, and Vultures looking to clean up any dead fish washed ashore. After a relaxing hour sleep in a hammock at the hotel, I watched Barcelona v Chelsea in the afternoon. Just a real relaxing day!! Then another walk to see the sunset near the Volcano, very tranquile. This was my first real taste of a type of paradise so far on my tour, and although it was nice and relaxing, I hadn't quite found paradise yet.

Wednesday 8th March, and we left the hotel at 7.30am, in order to catch the ferry back across at 8.30am. A proper ferry this time! Then from Rivas we caught a bus to our next destination, Granada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Ometepe ParadiseOmetepe Paradise
Ometepe Paradise

Paradise.... not quite yet...?!!
Dust off that PlateDust off that Plate
Dust off that Plate

And look where we are


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb