The tale of two cities


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

What a day. We started out on a city tour of Leon with a local guide who told us practically all the history of the place. The ancestors out here were brutal with their killings and punishments. We went to a museum featuring the tallest heanta (giant lady puppet) and the myths and legends of Leon which was based in a prison where they tortured people during the revolution. On the way out of there, there were carts selling a strange ice dish called raspora which was basically shavings off an ice block with syrup on top - perfect for cooling down in the 38 degree heat! At the end of the tour it felt like we were in the middle of a war with canons going off to celebrate a certain saint and a tremendously loud siren that went on for a minute to inform people that it was midday. It was literally a bomb siren.

Then we travelled to Granada and spent an evening in the town. We had a local meal on a square where there were amazing young break dancers to entertain us while we waited and two cocktails for £2 which of course went straight to Annie's head. We then went onto a bar but came home at the lame time of 10:45pm to get some sleep for our extremely busy and exciting day tomorrow consisting of lakes, islands, kayaking and volcanoes.

We learnt that there's a mosquito born disease going around Nicaragua that is like the flu but worse so have been spraying plenty of bug spray and will be wearing long trousers in Ometepe on Tuesday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb