Travel Nicaragua


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

GranadaGranadaGranada

Parque Central
Viaje a Nicaragua, la tierra de lagos y volcanes.

Granada is a department (state) in western Nicaragua (1,040 km2) and also the department's seat with an estimated population of 110,326 (2003), is Nicaragua's fourth most populous city and capital of the Granada Department. Granada is historically one of Nicaragua's most important cities both economically and politically. It is situated on the northwestern shore of Lake Nicaragua and was founded by Francisco Hernández de Córdoba on December 8, 1524. It has a rich colonial heritage, seen in its architecture and layout. Granada is commonly nicknamed the "Gran Sultana del Gran Lago" - the Great Sultan of the Great Lake.

History:
It was named after the Ancient Spanish city of Granada by Hernández de Córdoba. This was done in honor of the defeat of the last Moorish stronghold, which had been Spanish Granada, by the Catholic King and Queen of Spain. Granada, Nicaragua was historically the sister capital in Central America to Antigua, Guatemala. During the colonial period, Granada maintained a flourishing level of commerce with ports on the Atlantic, through Lake Nicaragua (Cocibolca) and the San Juan River.
The city has been witness and victim to many of the battles
GranadaGranadaGranada

Terminal de coches en el Parque Central
with and invasions from English, French and Dutch pirates trying to take control of Nicaragua.
It was also where William Walker, the American filibuster, took up residence and attempted to take control of Central America as a ruling monarch. One of Walker's generals, Charles Frederick Henningsen, set the city ablaze before escaping, destroying much of the ancient city and leaving printed the words "Granada Was Here".
For many years Granada disputed with León its hegemony as the major city of Nicaragua. The city of Granada was favored by the Conservatives, while Léon was favored by the Liberals. For many years there was conflict that at times became quite violent between the cities' families and political factions. In the mid 1800s a compromise site was agreed on and the capital was finally established in between both cities at Managua.
For the most part Granada avoided damage during the years of conflict in Nicaragua in the 1980s.

Geography & Ecology
Granada is located along the coast of the Lake Cocibolca, the world's twentieth largest lake.
Granada is the capital city of the Department of Granada, which borders Boaco and Managua to the north, Masaya and Carazo to the east and Rivas
GranadaGranadaGranada

Antiguo convento de San Francisco fundado en 1529
to the south. Within the same department, the River Tipitapa which connects the Lake of Managua and Nicaragua passes through it in the north. It also has three volcanic lagoons; Manares, Genirzaro, and the famous Apoyo. Apoyo, which is shared with the Department of Masaya, is the largest volcanic lagoon in Nicaragua.

Granada is a very warm city all year round, with very similar temperatures to Managua. This is due to similarities in geography with its close proximity to a lake and surrounded by high hills. Rainfall in Granada is approximately between 1,100-2,100mm annually.
The vegetation around Granada is a reflection of its climatology. Dry forests and also humid forests skirt the Mombacho volcano. The volcano is also home to a wide array of fauna. (See Wildlife of Nicaragua) The lake is also home to many creatures, both marine and freshwater creatures. It is the only fresh water lake in the world where sharks live (Nicaragua shark. Fishing in the lake is quite good and fisherman both commercial and recreational regularly catch guapote and mojarras, as well as sardines. Nicaragua has recently banned freshwater fishing of the Nicaragua shark and sawfish because of population decline.

Other important cities
GranadaGranadaGranada

Patio en el convento de San Francisco
and towns within the Granada district include Malacatoya, El Paso, El Guayabo, Diria, Macatepe, El Guanacaste, Nandaime and Diriomo, known nationally as the last city of witches. Mombacho volcano is the highest point (1,345m) within Granada; the now dormant volcano blew most of its cone into the lake, forming the 365 Islets of Granada, from where the volcano provides an amazing view. It is also possible on a clear day to see Ometepe and Zapatera Islands. This latter island is the second largest island in Lake Nicaragua and it too is an inactive volcano. It is a national treasure, known as the home of pre-Columbian statues and idols which were found on the island during the Spanish conquest, these are now exhibited in the Convento San Francisco Museum.
Granada has many beaches on Lake Nicaragua which are very popular around Semana Santa (Holy week).


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

GranadaGranada
Granada

Pintura Mural en el convento de San francisco
NicaraguaNicaragua
Nicaragua

La flor Nacional de Nicaragua
GranadaGranada
Granada

Muelle de la ciudad de Granada
GranadaGranada
Granada

Embarcadero turistico para visitar las isletas a orillas del lago cocibolca
GranadaGranada
Granada

Embarcadero turistico para visitar las isletas
GranadaGranada
Granada

Embarcadero turistico para visitar las isletas
GranadaGranada
Granada

bote en el lago
GranadaGranada
Granada

El muelle de Granada
GranadaGranada
Granada

Vista de la Catedral de Granada vista desde las isletas
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho
GranadaGranada
Granada

Isletas de Granada, formadas por la erupcion del volcan Mombacho


6th June 2010

I loved your photos and post from Granada! I have always wanted to go to Nicaragua but haven't made it there yet. It looks so amazing! My blog is looking for travel reviews, photos, etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email me at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Continued fun on your travels! Heather :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb