Clubbing things to death..and more volcanoes


Advertisement
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Again have been busy busy busy, so buisy in fact that since the last entry i have entered, stayed in and left hondurus and am now in nicaragua....

so a very early start saw us leaving guatamala and crossing the border into hondurus...it was most upsetting as i didnt get a stamp, and have been informed that i wont get an exit stamp until i leave nicaragua due to the three countries having some form of agreement..similar to the eu travel arrangements i imagine...you should understand that for all travellers collecting passport stamps becomes something of an obsession!..

but anyway, first day in hondurus was spent in copan, another mayan ruin site..this one not so impressive in terms of big pyramids etc, but the carvings had survived remarkably weel so it was great to get to see them in such detail for once...

then we were supposed to head toi the island of utila...however 12ft swells meant that the boat was not going to the island, and despite our best efforts to hire a plane to get us there, we had to spend the evening in a town called la ceba....if anyone ever goes to hondurus do not stay in la ceba, it is a shithole...with a similar welcoming feel to the hotel out of the shining...

but luckily the next day the ferry was running and we made it to utila...another paradise island, where great seafood and bars are a plenty, and i enjoyed both...it would have been rude not to! i also went barracuda fishing...which was great fun...and also quite hard as these fishies are particularly strong so pulling them in to the boat was not the easiest thing in the world...but the boat i was on...named fish and chicks...which consisted of three girls won the fishing challenge having caught the most and the biggest fish!...once they had been brought aboard the fish were promptly clubbed to death with a stick...which should have been disturbing but was in fact halirious! am considering a new diet where i only eat things which i have previously clubbed to death....especially since they tasted great on the bbq that evening...

from utila we headed across the border into nicaragua...again no stamp...and had a brief stop over in the capital...another shithole....but am now in granada, which is a pretty little colonial town surrounded by volcanoes and lakes!...this morning i kayaked around a volcanic lagoon and had a look at some of the islands created by the volcanoes...and tomoirrow am heading out to see some more volcanoes...altho i dont think these ones have any lava...but you never know they are active so lava cant be ruled out completely...

nicaragua so far has proved to be a lot poorer than the other countries i have visited so far, but despite that i am liking it a lot..altho i am not liking the fact that i am now being eaten alive by every kind of bitey insect there is...so now i am off to by more insect repellent!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb