Despues de Nicaragua


Advertisement
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Volcan MasayaVolcan MasayaVolcan Masaya

Active volcano, how cool!
Hello again,
We just got back from a week in Nicaragua and it was incredible. There are some Costa Rican’s who have prejudices against the country because it’s much poorer and there are many who come, illegally or not, to find work and medical care (remind you of US/Mexico?) Anyway, it was incredible. After a 7 hr trip by van with 10 girls and two professors, the first thing we see after the border is a giant lake with two volcanoes jutting out, a characteristic that literally shapes Nicaragua. Within no time we were seeing stark differences in standard of living as we drove past one wood shacks made of spare wood, plastic bags, whatever could be found. We stayed in Managua for the first two nights in a hotel called Maria La Gorda (or Fat Mary). The city didn’t’ feel very safe and much of it was left still destroyed after the earthquake of 1972. I wish could convey all the things we learned about the amazing story of war and corruption and villains and heroes that describes Nicaragua, but I do not have the time to do it justice. The most lasting image of Managua that I will carry with me is seeing Plaza de Nemagon, which is a group of ~1000 people protesting for help and living in nothing more than houses of plastic and cardboard. Nemagon was a nasty chemical used to enhance banana productions and since it’s used 2,500 have died and 7,000 remain affected.

On our way out of Managua we stopped by Masaya to shop in the markets and to see some Volcanoes! Very cool! In extreme contrast to Managua, our next destination was Grenada which was the most beautiful, lively, friendly and safe city I’ve ever encountered, within a 5 block radius that is. Beyond a certain point you again find the impoverished but there are not destitute. In fact they are very generous. We visited fisher men who live on small islands of volcanic debris within Lago Cocibolca, and although making a living in this generational profession is more difficult now than ever, they still took the time to not only sacrifice an entire day to spend with us but also treated us to a feast of the freshest most delicious fish I’ve ever had. It was also a really bonding time for all of us girls and the professors. I really love my professors by the way, so this next little bit will be dedicated to them.

There’s Matt, who’s the economics/politics guy with a really funny/dry sense off humor. We call him tio Mateo (uncle Matt). He keeps us up to date with what’s going on at home and is makes sure we have the opportunity to watch the debates. Then there’s David who really makes you laugh although not always on purpose. He’s a 50 some year old ex-peace corp and ever curious scientist. He teaches the ecological stuff and is a combination between an excited kid and a walking encyclopedia when it comes to any kind of insect, lizard, snake or bird we find. And last but not least there’s Jose, a native to Costa Rica who really is the greatest ever because he takes such good care of us. He’s young, energetic, really fun and just great because he always knows where to go, how to get there and he usually knows some who owns it and hooks us up with a discount. Jose is coordinating the internships for the non-environmental people.

Well, I hope this finds you warm and well fed (I’m definitely well fed, was plenty warm in Nicaragua, but back to slightly chilly, slightly rainy San Jose). Take care.
Till next time,
Sarah


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb