Nicaragua


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey All!

Our time in Nicaragua is coming to an end, we´re in the old colonial town of Granada where we will spend our last few days before going north to Honduras!

Nicaragua has been fantastic though...the land is stunning with rolling green hills and douzens of huge volcanos. Its really cheap here too which we like!

After leaving the Corn islands we went to the town of Leon...it was a nice town with a lot of interesting history of the revolution but we didn´t feel too well during our days here so didn´t get up to much.
We did go and visit some hot springs though just out side of the town at the foot of a volcano....a few of the local kids became our guides for the morning and took us to the springs where we saw large bubbling holes in the ground full of hot HOT mud...the kids rubbed the mud on our legs as it is soothing for mozzie bites. After giving the kids a few cordobas for their little tour we played a gave of five-a-side footy with them which was fun...Al took it a bit too serious though knocking some of the kids down! lol.

We then we to San Juan del Sur on the south pacific coast where we went to watch a Nicaraguan baseball match...i´d never seen a baseball match before so didnt know all the rules but it was fun!
The best part of our time here though was our night trip on a turtle excursion...we went out around 9pm to a turtle reserve and watched the turtles come up onto the beach and lay their eggs..it was amazing and you could get right up next to the turtle and watch them while they laid their eggs then follow her back down to the water! Definatly one of the best parts of this trip!

After San Juan we got a ferry out to Isla Ometepe which is a island in the middle of lake Nicaragua (this lake is huge by the way...just smaller than Wales!!)
The island is stunning, it has two massive volcanos on it which Al wanted to climb....i wasnt so keen. The slightly smaller volcano takes about 8 hours to climb and the bigger volcano take 12 hours! A guide started talking to us (who was the Nica version of Steve Urwin) and talked Al into hiking up Volcan Conception....THE BIG ONE!!! although the hike didnt go all the way too the top just two thirds of the way i still wasnt up for it so i left it too Al while i wondered round the national park playing with lizards and monkeys!
Al said the experience was amazing but was the hardest thing he´s ever done and was very close to crying!!! the climb was like going up stairs but 3 stairs at a time for 4 hours!! OUCH!
He´s glad he did it but i dont think he´ll be walking anytime soon!

We are now in Granada which is a gorgeous town on the edge of lake Nicaragua..theres another volcano to climb here too which i´m up for but i think we´ll end up taking the bus most of the way up coz i think Al will need carrying!!

Couple more days here then off to Honduras to seen some Maya ruines and the much awaited bay islands!!!

Will touch in soon
love xxxxxxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb