Nicaraguan cowboy country


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we headed north from Granada, we saw more and more guys in jeans and cowboy hats. Estili was agriculture country through and through. While the city is not overwhelmed by a number of sights that would qualify for posters designed by the ministry of tourism, it did serve as a very good stop for us. Isle de ommetepe and Granada are very different. As such, I felt that it was very worthwhile to swing by to see a region not as touristy, and what felt like was a more authentic representation of everyday life in Nicaragua.

The hostel that we stayed in was nondescript, but clean enough. They had a duck named 'Jose' and three parakeets that I did not learn the name of. All 4 of them had free reign of the atrium. It added some to the experience.

Estili was in a region hit hard by the civil war. We would have loved to have spent more time going around the region a little more, but we felt like we should get up to Honduras and allow ourselves some more time for that country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

grass on the power linesgrass on the power lines
grass on the power lines

this is very normal here. When the power lines get old and crack, grass seeds start growing in them, resulting in grassy lines.
breakfast smoothie placebreakfast smoothie place
breakfast smoothie place

old swimming pool that is now a breakfast place.
birds at the hostelbirds at the hostel
birds at the hostel

the guys ran around the atrium of the hostel during the day
almost hairless dogalmost hairless dog
almost hairless dog

One of the nasty canines I have seen on this trip


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb