Stage Two Begins


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ten days back in England passed quickly with whistle stop tours of both families north and south. The familiarity of home seems to always have an incredible quality of instantly settling you back into your normal existence no matter how removed from the experiences and routines developed whilst away. With everything on our kit list for the next nine months present and correct we were ready for our imminent departure. Miraculously we squeezed it all into our big packs and two small day packs. Carrying everything on our backs for three months had clearly focused and honed our minds for a lean existence.

The journey to Nicaragua was twenty two night-less hours. The theatre of intimidation courtesy of US customs during our brief stop in Atlanta could only be laughed at but has certainly propelled any future visits to the seemingly fading Land of Dreams a long way down our travel wish list. We were welcomed into a sweaty Managua evening and quickly whisked away to our first nights accommodation by our enigmatic Programme Director, Susan Kinne. Our heads were buzzing with a constant battle between overwhelming excitement and high anxiety buoyed on by the tiredness from our journey. Upon arrival in the barrio where we would be staying for our first two nights some of the local children came to suss out the new arrivals and lend a hand with our luggage. Our hosts, Susan’s neighbours, were three nuns. What more reassurance could we have for a peaceful and safe place to rest. There is so much to say about every facet of life here even after just a few days. Fortunately we have six months to soak it all up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb