digging up telephone poles


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I can't believe today is only our second day here, and it was such a great day. In the morning we had a talk from Mark Lester who spoke on the history of Nicaragua. Then we worked on digging up phone poles for the rest of the day with a short break for lunch. It was hard work when we were actually digging/shoveling/pick axing but there was also a lot of down time when we were waiting for the truck to come over to pick up the poles. Also a lot of the time the Nicaraguan men that work at JHC would do most of the work and I felt bad because we were supposed to be here to help the people of Nicaragua and they ended up helping us/doing most of the work. I have a theory and we kinda talked about this before but we think that they mainly have us here because we raise money and bring medicine and raise awareness when we go back to the States. The work that they have us do here, they probably just give us to keep us busy or they might just do it over themselves after we leave because they can do it better and faster. Anyway, today was productive, and challenging. When we got back we went in the pool and showered. Then we watched the inauguration of Daniel Ortega. Unfortunately, I had no idea what was going on or what they were saying so I wasn't that interested. Then it was so fun, we had a band come and play for us. There was a little dancing too! It was super fun and the woman who was the lead singer was so fun and animated. Her daughter was so cute too and was a really good dancer (check out the video)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb