San Pedro Sula - Los Naranjos


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Western » Lake Yojoa
December 17th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Without hanging around in San Pedro Sula for too long we headed to Lago de Yojoa, a beautiful lake nestled in West Central Honduras, more specifically to the small village of Los Naranjos. The day didn´t start too great when getting off the bus at our destination we managed to leave the garlic baguette that we had just bought from a bakery before leaving San Pedro. We soon found our way to the hostal which was also a micro-brewery brewing traditional ales as well as more elabourate flavours including apricot and chocolate raspberry. We set up our tent and headed off for the afternoon to hire a rowing boat and explore the lake, the village was on a canal that led to the lake after a few hundred meters. The boat journey was interesting, apparently rowing can quickly be forgotten, and we saw loads of spectacular birds as well as a large snake that appeared to have been half gutted before falling into the lake. That night we cooked our own food, pasta and tomato sauce with carrots and onion, not especially interesting but tasted good since we even had to build the fire ourselves! As we slept the clouds came in and the rain started, rain that was going to continue for the next 3 days. Since activities around the lake relied heavily on sight seeing and therefore good weather we kept under shelter all day playing cards, reading and little else, hoping that the following day the sun would shine. It didn´t. Despite the weather we still ventured to Pulhapanzak Waterfalls, as they were one of the reasons we decided to visit the lake anyway. They were spectacular and we were so wet from the walk to them that we barely noticed the spray from the 43m drop. The afternoon was filled with more reading and card playing, still managing to enjoy our beautiful surroundings, although the cold was beginning to get unbearable, especially when all clothes were damp as well! In all it was a shame about the weather but good fun and we were glad that we had made the most of the bits of Honduras we could.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 16; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb