Thank God


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Western » Gracias
November 23rd 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We visited a town called Gracias. Gracias is 'Thank You' in Spanish and the town was named when explorers finally found a flat area of land for a settlement after hiking through the mountains and said 'Gracias a Dios' or 'Thank God'.

It took 2 buses and a minivan to get to Gracias from Tegucigalpa via La Esperanza and San Juan. In the minivan I (Rae) sat in the front squished with the gearstick and the guys (Peter came with us from Tegucigalpa) were packed in the back. And more and more were packed in the back, crouching, perching, siting behind the passenger seat. Pieter had to protest a couple of times which caused a few giggles. It was definitely a 'Thank God' moment when we arrived in Gracias. The road had alternated paved and dirt since La Esperanza and at one point we saw the minivan ahead of us skidding all over the road .. it was overloaded and had no traction.

In Gracias we were recommended the Posada Don Juan after the place on the hill we wanted to stay at was full. It was fairly new and motel style. We got a big triple with cable TV and hot water for 560Lp (US$31). Divided by 3 that was OK. We were desperate for food so hopped inside the first local place we found. There was no menu and we ended with the 'plato typico' which was great with beans and rice and sausages. Pieter had asked for a hotdog but the lady interpreted that as everyone wanted sausages. The next day we returned for breakfast.

Near Gracias were some thermal pools. We decided to walk the 4 or so kilometers and were really in need of a dip by the time we arrived. Unfortunately we were greeted by the sounds of kids screaming and loud music. Oh bugger, we forgot it was Saturday. It was very nice with warms pools shaded by trees but it was not possible to relax so we left again within an hour. The walk was very pleasant, with a great view of the town.

That evening we visited the fort on top of the hill. Kids were playing at the gate which was closed. A notice said the fort was closed for renovation and indeed the courtyard was littered with building materials including the old and new roof tiles. While taking photos of the kids and cannons a bloke came from inside and offered to let us in. That was great. He unlocked the gate and we were soon climbing the walls, kids in tow. One girl asked my name and proceeded to ask for my earrings. I gave her a US quarter but she wasn't happy. The sunset was magnificent. We tipped the guy as we left.

Gracias is a lovely wee town with beautiful churches and a pleasant atmosphere. We really enjoyed our stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Pieter and PeterPieter and Peter
Pieter and Peter

Walking back from the hot pools
Iglesia de San Marcos Iglesia de San Marcos
Iglesia de San Marcos

Facing west as usual but not facing the main square, which is unusual.
The fortThe fort
The fort

Sunset
The fortThe fort
The fort

Sunset
The fortThe fort
The fort

Our little friends who followed us around. The little girl wanted my earrings.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb