First few days in La Joya


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As soon as I got to La Joya ("The Jewel") I was put to work. After teaching English at a school for such a long time it's great to get back into some physical labor.

Besides the Bullock missionary family (Clifton, Jane, Kristen, Josiah and Micah) there's also two young American's spending their summer vacation, and two young Hondurans living here for a year to study and minister. (There are also a doctor, nurse and dentist that split their time working in the medical clinic.)

On Wednesday the crew of us "young people" were put to work digging the tilapia pond. The fish pond is a new way for the clinic to have an extra income, as well as the new egg business (with about 1,700 hens). We spent the morning with shovels and picks, leveling the bottom of the pond and covering plastic tarps with several inches of dirt. Thanks to the clear weather we were able to continue the work Thursday morning and complete the job. PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Besides giving my arms and back a work out, I also got some SUN...and realized that one morning digging for Christ gives me a better tan than 3 days laying on the beach. 😊

Our other work project is repainting the "bunkhouse" where the mission teams stay and eat during their time here. It's looking fresh and cheery and we nearly finished, which is good because a team arrives later this week.

This morning we piled into the back of the pick-up and drove the 10 minutes to a nearby town for church. I'd been there twice in the past for services with teams, and also gave a Sunday School teacher training there in January. A couple of the teen girls remembered me and it was encouraging to chat with them for a bit.

We're getting lots of SUN and RAIN, which, for me, is a nice balance. I am feeling so refreshed and at peace here. It will be a perfect transition time before going back to Michigan next month. (I fly out a month from yesterday...crazy!!!)

Please pray for the mission team that's coming down from Texas later this week. They'll be doing medical and construction projects. Pray that we'll finish painting and cleaning the bunkhouse in plenty of time. Pray that we will have solid, God-honoring relationships among us!

Lots of love and smiles!
April

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb