Day 81 - We passed!


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
September 21st 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our diving course is not the sort of thing that many people fail, but it's nice to gain a new qualification all the same. We completed our course with the best dive of the lot, a 'wreck dive'.

The ship we went to have a look around was a container ship called Halliburton, which has been lying 30m below the surface since it sank in 1998. It's hard to describe what it's like when this huge rusty wreck comes into view. We had a good look around the outside and then went into the main cargo hold. Probably the best bit was swimming into the wheelhouse - it's weird thinking that the ship's captain would obviously have stood here when it was afloat. There was also the slightly incongruous sight of a mountain bike chained to the ship, which apparently was the pride and joy of Utila's main bicycle thief and a great example of humourous vigilante justice.

Today was our last full day on Utila. We've intentionally done pretty much nothing except the diving, and to be honest if you're not interested in diving it would be a rubbish place for a holiday. Hopefully we'll get to use our newly learnt skills again on this trip. We think it's a virtual certainty.


Advertisement



26th September 2006

Dive-tastic
Good work on passing your dive qualification, I liked the image I got of a confused Ed messing up his sums! Happy Birthday to Gemma too. xxxxx

Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 14; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb