Caribbean Adventure Awaits


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
September 13th 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Utila PrincessUtila PrincessUtila Princess

Our ferry! Only 1 hour to the island.
Rising, like always, before the sun does, we got up and ready to go catch the 9 a.m. ferry that was a walk, a bus ride, and a taxi ride away. I would just like to add that it only took me 40 minutes to take a shower and get ready and I was ready to go on time! Like I said in my last blog, anyone who knows be knows that that is quite the accomplishment for me. I think the Caribbean is a good influence 😊

La Ceiba is much more hot and sticky than Comayagua and we felt its full effects while walking around and waiting for buses. After we left the hotel, we caught a bus downtown in order to catch another bus that would take us out to the ferry. However, after playing "guess how many buses it will take for ours to arrive", we decided, for the sake of arriving before the ferry left that we should take a taxi. One taxi ride and ferry ticket counter later, we were waiting for the ferry to take us across to the caribbean island of Utila.

While waiting for the ferry, we got our first
Port RoyalPort RoyalPort Royal

For those of you wondering what Honduran beer might look like.
glimpse of the cultural mesh that the island holds. We actually heard people speaking English for the first time in a long time. We went into a little store to pick up snacks and we were thrown for a minute when the man told us how much we owed in English. Julie and I also were addressed as Barbies. I haven't figured out what is more disturbing: that someone called us Barbies or that a Honduran man would know about these unproportionate blond plastic dolls.

On the ferry (thank goodness for dramamine), we also heard languages from all over the world. Sooo cool for the cultural anthropology major in me. Actually, it was on the ferry before it left the port, because we weren't able to hear to much once we started going because of the wind. Apparently, Utila has some of the best and cheapest scuba diving in the whole world, so it draws people from all over the globe.

Once we arrived on Utila, we split up for a bit. Chris and Sarah headed down to the dive shop and Julie, Jill, Nadia and I were off to find lodging. As we were walking down the
WaitingWaitingWaiting

Our second bus never came. TAXI!!!
main road of the island, a guy on a golf cart asked if we would like a ride. (FYI - there is only really one road and it runs from one end of the island to the other. the main mode sof transportion on the island are walking, mopeds, or golf carts. people are always very friendly and offer rides on their golf carts on a regular basis). We hopped on and he took us to a beautiful hotel at the end of the island which was like a 15 minute gold cart ride. We looked around but it was farther than we wanted to walk to the beach and it was out of our price range ($70 per room per night). So the golf cart guy (who was from South Carolina and talked like my Mama) took us back down to the beach where we found a nice hotel called "Margaritaville" for $5 a person a night and it was right next to the beach.

Across the road from the hotel was a cool little restaurant that jutted over the ocean that was nice enough to make me grilled cheese even though it wasn't on the menu. So
Laid Back on the City BusLaid Back on the City BusLaid Back on the City Bus

Jill and I on the first bus to the center of La Ceiba.
after lunch there we headed for the beach. Eventually, we met back up with Sarah and Chris and set out to find dinner. Pretty much the story of my vacation: eat, beach, eat, drink, sleep, eat, beach, repeat...It was lovely.

I have to tell a little bit about the place we went to dinner. It was like a buffet and it had all kinds of vegetarian food and an air conditioned dining room! After dinner, we went to a bar that also was over the water to have a couple drinks. I was exhausted and Sarah had to get up the next morning to go to diving class, so we headed for the hotel and I promptly fell into a deep sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Waiting IIWaiting II
Waiting II

After the taxi, waiting for the ferry.
Chillin'Chillin'
Chillin'

Sounds more fun than waiting :) (Chris and Nadia at the ferry dock)
The First 5 MinutesThe First 5 Minutes
The First 5 Minutes

Before it got really windy.
The Next 5 MinutesThe Next 5 Minutes
The Next 5 Minutes

When it got really windy.
Soakin Up the RaysSoakin Up the Rays
Soakin Up the Rays

Julie on the ferry.
On the BoatOn the Boat
On the Boat

Nadia and Jill on the ferry.
FRESCA!FRESCA!
FRESCA!

Rum and Coke in a can and they have Fresca. I love this country.
Margaritaville Room Margaritaville Room
Margaritaville Room

Sleeps 4 for $5 each a night with electricity and water!!!
View from MargaritavilleView from Margaritaville
View from Margaritaville

Across the road from the beach, this was the view we had from our window for $5 a night.
La PlayaLa Playa
La Playa

The Beach
Grilled Cheese in ParadiseGrilled Cheese in Paradise
Grilled Cheese in Paradise

Waiting for lunch at the restaurant across from Margaritaville.
Going for a SwimGoing for a Swim
Going for a Swim

Jill and Julie jumped off the dock of the restaurant and swam to the beach. So cool!
Study Study StudyStudy Study Study
Study Study Study

Sarah reading her diving materials on the upper patio of Margaritaville.
Yay for Air Conditioned Dining RoomsYay for Air Conditioned Dining Rooms
Yay for Air Conditioned Dining Rooms

Dinner the first night on the island.
Coco Loco Or TranquilaCoco Loco Or Tranquila
Coco Loco Or Tranquila

I can't remember which bar we went to the first night. Coco Loco and Tranquila are both out over the water and directly beside each other.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb