$250 American


Advertisement
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Granada we took a bus two hours to Managua which is a much bigger city and very modern. As we pulled up to our hostel a man quickly helped us with our bags and rushed us within the hostel gates. We checked into a very small room with a tv and were told not to go out of the gates because it is very dangerous and ¨they¨ will put a knife to your throat and rob you. The sun was setting and we had about an hour of sunlight left so we decided to get dinner before dark. The man that helped us with our bags escorted us to a restaurante on the corner and we invited him to eat with us. The entire conversation revolved around him talking about women and their beautiful bodies. Travis and I thought this a bit suspicious because the man kept inviting us to go drinking at the bar around the corner where he insisted there were plenty of girls. Just as we finished our Gallo Pinto a girl passes us on her way down the street and our friend says ¨thats my girl¨, isn´t she muy bonita, then he says if you like her I can call her for you. We declined as usual with a ¨no gracias¨ and bought the pimp dinner for his hospitality. When we returned to our room we decided to stay in for the night because we wanted to live and we had to catch a bus at 4 am the next day. As we lye down in our beds watching America´s favourite sitcom ¨friends¨ on the tele Travis sits up at the corner of his bed and a plasic bag falls on the floor from beneath the sheet. Low and behold the tightly wrapped bag contains a thick $50 dollar bill quarter folded. He picked it up and handed it to me in disbelief and I unwrapped it to find five $50 dollar bills and $100 Cordobas within. After this we continued to turn the room upside down looking for more treasure. We didn´t find any, but we slept well that night and made enough money to get to Mexico so we can see Palenque before flying home. A few hours later we were on a Tica bus which is like a Greyhound bus, but comfortable. We traveled for thirteen hours from Managua Nicaragua to San Pedro Sula Honduras. The trip went by fast and we slept in a clean room that night that had ¨San Jose Hotel¨stamped with grey spray paint on everthing and the shower curtain had the name hand written in cursive brown marker. The room looked like a jail cell because of its grey and white decor, but it was safe and comfortable. No money was found although I did look.

Today was another long travel day. First we bussed two hours to the beach town of Tela which is reminicent of the old Florida Keys. While I was on the bus I carried a baby girl on my lap the entire ride as she slept in my arms. The last person to board the bus was a very very short midget with two grown babies and the only seat available was the one to my left so she sat down and fifteen minutes later I had a baby sleeping on my lap. the whole trip went by smooth until the baby girl woke up. She didn´t cry, but after drinking a whole bottle of juice while lying on her back she began to cough and then puked all over herself and almost my bag if Travis hadn´t pulled it away. Thanks Travis. She was ok and I got off the bus without a drop on me. When we arrived we went to about ten different hotels and we couldn´t book a room because the whole town was packed with locals hanging out at the beach and there were not any rooms left. So we decided to go to La Ceiba which is a port town and is our stopover before reaching Utila. Tomarrow we boat over to Utila. Adios.
Chad

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb