Dunking Steve and broken bicycles


Advertisement
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

The time is flying here. It's amazing to think we've been with UCME for two and a half weeks now. Three things that haven't changed are the weather, it's still hot hot hot, the diving, it's as good as it ever was and the lunch menu.

This week we've moved on to doing proper surveys, taking it in turns to do fish and benthic. It’s a great way to spend your time underwater, even if you are doing the benthic and you’re upside down for most of the dive.

We have the weekends off to do as we like. Last weekend we were going to go to Water Cay, but we were recovering on Saturday and Sunday we hired bikes to do a bit of exploring instead. Mad dogs and Englishmen.. So the saying goes. Well we hired the bikes at 11.15am and I tell you, the heat was overwhelming. We set off towards the airport to find some freshwater caves where you can swim. Being a small island with only a few roads, we thought we’d find them no problem. When Michelle and I ended up on the end of the runway, we decided that we should have looked at a map first.

We came across a strange little place that was selling ‘ice cold drinks’ though, a very welcome relief. It was an odd place with the craziest crazy golf I’ve ever seen. The place didn’t really look open, but they let us in, gave us water and a place to sit for a while before heading out again. Unfortunately not long after Huw got a puncture and then a little while after that Steve’s chain snapped. They both had a long hot walk back to the bike hire place.

We chilled out after with a couple of beers, so it turned out ok.

Saturday will go down in history. We went to a pool in a hostel up the road. It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon with a rum hangover to beat all rum hangovers. Anyway, for those that don’t know I’ve been trying to dunk Steve for 5 years now and have only successfully done it once. Well, with a bit of help from Huw and Johanna he went down! Twice! Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Huw, Michelle and Becca are leaving this weekend. It’s going to be sad to see them go and strange to continue with just the three of us. Then we’ll be heading off. Not sure where yet, or how.

I’ve heard the airports are open again, which is a relief. It sounds like so many people were affected. We were wondering if we had Michelle for a bit longer for while!

Love to you all

S & S

xxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tree TanikTree Tanik
Tree Tanik

A cool little bar that's a bit like a tree house. A very cool garden too, must have taken years to finish.
Walking homeWalking home
Walking home

We found a long line, around 10m, of ants carrying leaves from a tree to their nest.
Red Band Parrot FishRed Band Parrot Fish
Red Band Parrot Fish

I keep on wanting to call them Red Stripe.


22nd April 2010

DUNKING!
Well done on the dunking front. I won't be so stupid as to declare my hand and say I'm going to aim for it now becuase that would only lead to a world of dunking pain in Goa :) So...where you going next?!
22nd April 2010

Beautiful fish - especially that first one with the yellow flippers. How does the diving compare with Egypt? lots of love xxxx
23rd April 2010

Hmmm
The diving in Egypt is spectacular. Although, it's been some time since we went so we're planning on going back so we can do a thorough comparison. :O) Lots of love xxx
23rd April 2010

Worth a go.
Not really sure where next. Maybe to Corn Islands. We really need to get a plan together soon.. xx

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb