An Introduction to Diving


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2003
Edit Blog Post

So today was actually my third day on this very pleasant island north of the Honduran coast. The sole reason Jesse and I came here was to learn how to dive, Utila (and Roaton, the biggest of the Bay Islands) being world-renowned for being the cheapest and one of the most beautiful places in the world to dive. But before we get to that, just another word on manners.

So far our time in Honduras has been marked by a significant increase in the rudeness factor. Although one has to expect some level of irritation from time to time when dealing with people as a tourist (just as in any business encounter anywhere in the world under any auspice) we have found a significantly higher "rudeness factor" here in Honduras. The fact is I have been lied to and treated rudely much more and in a shorter amount of time than in Guatemala. Here's the rundown:

1)La Ceiba Airport: Asking a person at an airline ticket selling counter whether there was another carrier also going to Utila besides theirs, the flat reply was no. After spending no more than three minutes talking to people at other ticket counters, we find that the statement is a boldfaced lie, that there was at least one other leaving within the time frame and two other carriers total. The woman (who actually looked alot like Mrs. Garrett from "The Facts of Life") left in the meantime and the other ticket workers at the counter said that nothing could be said to her because she was the owner and could fire them if they told the truth.

2)Taxi Driver, La Ceiba. We took a taxi into town during a waiting period. The taxi driver offered to take us back to the airport. We told him where and when to meet us, and promised repeatedly that he would certainly come on time. He didn't. Seven minutes later, we took another cab because we would miss our flight.

3)Cab driver, La Ceiba. Wants to charge us 50 lempira each for a ride to the airport. Says it costs 20 lempira just to go into the airport. Does not mention that you can be dropped off just before that tariff point, only a hundred yards away from the entrance.

4)Waitress, Utila. After a gruff welcome, brings out eggs cooked the wrong way. When this is pointed out, the response is an "Oh." and an uncomfortable pause.

5)Add to this 2-3 rude interactions/lies in Copan.

There have been good interactions too, but overall the Hondurans have not (especially compared to the Guatemalans) been good "hosts" in the general sense. And I have been here in Honduras only a week compared to six in Guatemala! And unless one think that this is just tourist whining, ask around if one comes here. You'll find this opinion coinciding with other travelers'. My advice: Keep trust on a very short leash when dealing with Honduran locals.

But, moving on to diving, today was our first day in the water, under the water, with scuba gear. We started our day yesterday with videos and reading material, followed by quizzes and informal lectures today. It's good technical preparation, but nothing can prepare you for the miracle of being underwater and breathing. Although we started the day in shallow water, the real amazement for me began when we went down to 33 feet (roughly 11 meteres) in an ocean that had completely clear visibility. From the moment that you deflate your flotation device to the time I settled on the bottom I was continually amazed. There are many minor technical moments of wonder, like the fact that "equalizing" your airspaces in your ears really does prevent your ears from hurting like hell, but when you kneel on the bottom of the ocean, and look up at water too deep to reach the top in any reasonable amount of time, and realize that you are OK--wow. I felt like I was cheating the laws of physics.

When I went back up I was giddy with excitement. I am very much looking forward to tomorrows dive, speaking of which it is 9:19 and I am going to head off to bed so I can be ready. Until the next entry...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb