Catching some Caribbean sun... FINALLY!


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
November 4th 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

UTILA, Bay Islands, Honduras



After making my way from Copan through La Ceiba I ended up here on the small Caribbean island of Utila. In order to catch the early morning ferry out here I had to stay the night in La Ceiba, a filthy port town full of hookers and drunks. I was warned by friends to pick a nicer hotel because the cheapies were scary... and I thought I did, but was surprised to find lots of gross old men hanging about with hookers and police. I arrived after dark and didn't think it wise to walk around downtown Ceiba with my backpack looking for another place, so I stayed. After hearing some hookers go at it down the hall I stepped out to use the internet and grab a bite to eat. The guy at the front desk, who spoke Spanish with the strangest accent, made sure I had a big strong guy to walk me to the nearest internet cafe. Yeah. well. I made it back by myself more comfortably than I did with my escort, but whatever. La Ceiba sucks, Utila is pretty nice.

Upon arriving I was hounded by people trying to tell me the best hotel and dive shop, offering to carry bags and get a taxi for me. What I found hilarious was that they weren't locals. They were all tanned, good looking, shirtless gringo dive students, probably slaving away to some dive shop to earn their divemaster. Sorry guys but I am sooooo immune to your charm. I found my way to Rubi's Inn, on the east side of town. If any of you make it to Utila I recommend you stay here.... the family is so accomodating and made me feel right at home. There's a little dock, lots of hammocks, and the rooms are large and all new. Such a change from the stinky dorms and jail cell-like hotels.

I haven't done much here in Utila but that was the plan.... I just wanted some sun. After three days of rain and clouds, it shone today for 90 minutes...... I soaked up every bit of it. Got in a quick but rather unimpressive snorkel... didn't dive, didn't go out with a shop, nope, sorry. Tomorrow I'm flying to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras. I'll either chill out there for a few days and maybe meet a friend from home, if he is arriving tomorrow... otherwise I'm working my way south to Grenada, Nicaragua via Managua.

There I'm meeting an English friend I met in Antigua, and we are going to take over Nicaragua and Costa Rica for three adventure packed weeks.... weeee.

Advertisement



8th November 2006

OOOh, Utila!
I guess you do know that John and I went to Utila (for a little grown-up escape :), lo those many years ago...it was great! Very quiet still, at that time (no diving mugs at the airport), and the place was not ALL that accustomed to outsiders. There were some, of course, but very few...and most of them Euros. We caught a small launch out to one of the smaller cays, and spent the day...NO ONE else in sight...heaven! We stayed at a very small place on the far side of town (from the airport)...named for a woman, if I remember, but would have to check back on that. Aaaany way...hope you managed to grab a bit more sunshine...that's what it's really for, after all : ) Love and safe journeys...(got the email :) Paz, Amor y Felicidad, L.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb