Cayos Cochinos: Journey to the Hidden Paradise Surreal Honduras


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Published: August 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In January 2014, make a wonderful trip to a hidden paradise of Honduras, the Cayos Cochinos in the department of Islas de la Bahia in the Caribbean Sea.
I have no practice of writing about travel I do. But I gained a commitment to my teacher.
Chachahuate, a small piece of white sand, palm trees, reef, coral, fish and a human enclave of about 70-80 people who live there permanently.

The Cayos Cochinos are made - if I remember correctly - by 16 cays and islands, some of which are only an atoll of white sand with a palm tree, the style of the cartoons.

Can be reached in different ways. As a day trip from Roatan, hiring a boat with some power (1:30 - 2 hours). I'm not sure if the cost of roundtrip from here, especially since Roatan is the most famous and expensive tourist Honduras whereabouts. Without being either inaccessible.

Departing from Sambo Creek, a Garífuna community located about 15 km from the city of La Ceiba. From this quaint Garifuna whereabouts can be reached, but it is advisable to book something in advance in La Ceiba, it may be more economical. In a shared boat, the cost of round-trip can range in 500 Lempiras (about $ 26). Also from La Ceiba is possible to contract services for the day in the Keys.

For fun there too, is important to take the Keys basic diving equipment. There are beautiful coral reefs and even a few meters from the beach which deserve a few hours of snorkeling.

Another of the highlights of the Garifuna Cayo is mouth-watering cuisine that can be found at very reasonable prices. From covered, fried fish with little slices, rice and beans, baleadas, typical breakfast, to giant lobsters, conch chowder, among others.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb