Roatan - Days 8-9


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday morning and facing only two more full days here. It has gone quickly - especially since reaching the halfway point a few days ago. Yesterday we spent the day in West Bay, which is just about at the western tip of the island. The guidebook said that it has Roatan's best beach and we weren't disappointed. White sand, very light blue water almost absent of sea grass, and a wall of rock (old coral) at the end of the beach that is a beautiful, dramatic boundary to a very pretty stretch of beach.
We liked the beach more than Sandy Bay (mainly docks) and West End but West Bay is the first spot we've seen with large hotels along the beach and dozens+ of chairs in front to sunbath in. We walked along a well-trafficked alley to check out town (which basically consists of the hotels and restaurant/bars that line the beach and one road that doesn't parallel the sea for more than a few blocks), but there isn't much to it - primarily condos, hotels and other lodging with a few small cafes or shops here and there. We went back to the beach and walked to the south end, where the guide book described a dock that overlooks the coral and all the sea life. We found two such docks but neither had any fish swimming around. Perhaps it was a bad day or early afternoon isn't a good time to go. Despite the people and resort-like feel, it was still a beautiful beach. After a few hours we were rather sun weary (having seen more sun in those three hours than most of July in Portland), so we strolled back down to the water taxis and caught a boat back to West End.

The local buses run pretty frequently from Coxen Hole to Sandy Bay and on to West End but do not make it to West Bay. We were told that taxis from Sandy Bay to West Bay are expensive so it is better to go to West End ($1ea bus, $2ea taxi) and catch a water taxi ($3ea) on from there. The 10min water taxi ride around the point was pretty and a nice way to see the beach.

After relaxing in the shade at West End for a while we got a delicious early dinner at Besos. We got the coconut shrimp and some mojito chicken - both of which were very good. The restaurant also had a great feel and it was a nice place to have our "honeymoon dinner". Thanks to the folks who helped with this on the honeymoon registry!

Today we are planning to go to Gumbalimba Park to check out the monkeys, birds, and flowers. There is a zip line through the jungle as well, which we have wanted to do since before Guatemala three years ago. Looking forward to it and will be sure to take many photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

BesosBesos
Besos

Great dinner for our honeymoon


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb