Honduras


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a very long journey from Guatemala onboard a stinky hot bus that could get up to a maximum of 20km's an hour, driving around cliff sides we finally arrived into Copan...to find there was no electricity or running water....when it would come back on nobody knew. It was the last thing we felt like in the heat after having being stuck on a chicken bus for over 12 hours.

But Copan was a lovely little sleepy town, the gateway for for it's one and only Mayan Ruin. The cobble stoned streets are lined with brightly painted houses and store's, the town is abuzz with the sound of tuk tuk's horns. The girls and I spent the next few nights here in copan enjoying this quaint town and of course the ruins. There was also this spectaular swiss restaurant (random!) which came as a welcome surprise as the thought of chicken, rice and beans is enough to make feel ill.

With my cutlural sightseeing ticked off it was time for another beach break, so we headed to La Ceiba for the night before catching the morning ferry across to Roatan, in the Bay Islands. The night in La Ceiba was interesting to say the least. We were warned by Honduran friends aboard the ship NOT to go there and if we did to not go out after the sun went down. The 3 of us spent a terrifying night curled up in one single bed listening the the screams of domestic violence right outside our guesthouse door.

We had planned on spending 3-4 nighst on the Island, but even the best paid plans don't always go to plan. First I came down with a stomach bug on the first day, then Hannah did and she was out of action for almost 5 days. Becky and I lived it up and took advantage of the down time to get in some much need "party" time and lazy days on the beautiful beaches. We met some great people on the Island and enjoyed every minute of our stay...minus the mosquitoes...watch out for them!

After having overstayed our time on Roatan we were now behind schedule and decided to by-pass Tegucigalpa and head straight down south to NICARAGUA.....here we come.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb