Dessert


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Roatán
December 10th 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kids of the IslandKids of the IslandKids of the Island

From the untouristed backroads of Roatan.

Roatan on the fast





The most desired 'excursion' (cruise lingo for something to do on land) was unfortunately full-up in Honduras. The Roatan Segway beach tour filled to capacity only 3 minutes after tickets were released, and well before I had the opportunity to snag a spot. (Segways are the new age people movers the work based on balance- check the microsoft campus for more info/sightings) Instead I bartered for the next best in the two wheeler category. After some bidding with the local mafioso, we arranged for some scooters, (as he hasslehoffed the native ladies, who didn't seem to much to appreciate and or absorb his slazy (combo-word) persona.) 20 bucks later John and I (my cousin of near exact age) were on our way. To where you ask? At the time and even to this day I cannot answer (I think this is where the filmed a greater portion of 2001, a space oddyssey) But we arrived.

On a seemingly poor and developing island, the arrival of our floating hotel was a big day. Scooters suddenly cost $40 a day to rent, with a $600 deposit necessary (hence going to the local everything dealer for
Floating Beast.Floating Beast.Floating Beast.

This sea worthy vessel serves nearly 7000 lbs of meat a day for only 3900 people aboard (2600 of which are the ones paying), weighs 110,000 tons, probably uses a lot of gas.)
our rental). The local drug dealers came out in full force, as well as the police (clad in blue island camo). So John and I rolled out in full force. Past half sunken boat ruins, past the tours, past the kitsch, traveling the fringe roads of the island (they are the easiest to find your way back)

Minor frustrations...







There is some sort of sick liberating pleasure in riding a scooter with flipflops, swimtrunks, no sunglasses, at highspeeds on palm treed roads in foreign countries. I could rave about it (halloween), but I guess only in person. But it was on this ride (which is enough fun on its own) that
The beachThe beachThe beach

My mom weathering the effects of a constant 40 mph wind.
we arrived (At some poorly colored brightly painted vacant building, blasting reggae music) with a dollar in coins and a camera.










Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Red eyed dogRed eyed dog
Red eyed dog

In contest for most rugged looking with john and i. This is right before it lunged at me (and I jumped) and all the kids laughed.
Sweet- ChicletsSweet- Chiclets
Sweet- Chiclets

With kids hopping the fence in the background.
Sweet- Chiclets part deuxSweet- Chiclets part deux
Sweet- Chiclets part deux

Ok so this is the one with the kids hopping the fence.
50 foot spray.50 foot spray.
50 foot spray.

Only the hardest core snorklers ventured over to that rock.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb