June 9 - ESC


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

June 9 - ESC Experience

This afternoon after returning to the hotel from DHQ, we were told of two young girls who had arrived at the hotel in tears. After further investigation, we discovered they were to be a part of a group coming here to do ‘good works’ in Haiti. Apparently, when they arrived, no other group members were at the airport. A call back to them revealed that the other members had decided not to come after all. They were stranded! They hired a truck to bring them to the hotel and the driver ‘graciously’ offered to take them out to where other ‘international organizations’ were doing work. However, his truck needed some work and he wanted them to pay by charging $1,500 to their credit card.

So, first there was a ‘calming process’; then a discussion on their vulnerability; then, since they really wanted to help here, I made some phone calls to contacts at organizations doing work bees. We connected them to a Calvary Love group in Jacmel, who sent a vehicle for them. They will return to PaP on June 17th to return to their homes on June 18th. Their naiveté in traveling to a foreign country to 'help' may have a very negative outcome for them. Praise God for bringing them to where they would find caring support and guidance!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb