Jaibalito


Advertisement

Ok, so we´ve really fallen behind with this so we will have to cut the crap and just get to the point!!!

San Marcos was lovely, very quiet and relaxing, we went for a drink in this bar by the lake at about 4pm and then a storm came so we got stuck there for a couple of hours, needless to say we were fairly well on by the time we left and weren´t too bothered about the rain! Nearly got lost on the way back to the room, we´re blaming the lack of light and not the alcohol on that!!!

The following morning after I had talked Paul out of staying in San Marcos for a month to do a meditation and detox course we left for another village (or island as Pol seems to think they are) on the lake called Jaibalito. We didn´t actually go to the village but to the private dock of this place we had booked to stay! It was only night 3 and we decided it was time to splash out! Lovely place with stunning views of the lake and terraces built right by the water for sunbathing and swimming!! We spent the day there swimming and kayaking on the lake. That night there was a family style meal in the restaurant for everyone staying there, good fun, we ended up playing cards and jenga with a Canadian couple! Last to go to bed, of course, sampling the local rum!

The next morning we headed back to Panajachel to start the horrific journey north! We got a nerve wrecking bus back to Antigua through the mountains in the pouring rain, passing signs for mudslides at high speeds! After 2 hours we were relieved to be getting away from the manic driver and change buses to do another 2 hours to Guatemala City only to find that the same lunatic was bringing us there as well!!

After a 2 hour wait in GC we boarded our ¨"luxury" bus to Flores (8 hours!!!) Give me Bus Eireann any day! Not a wink of sleep had although Pol slept soundly for a few hours! We had a couple of unplanned stops on the way, one to assist at a crash on the road (we think?), another when a number of trucks had barricaded the road and a third at 4am at a check point to check if we had any fruit or vegetables on board the "luxury" bus???

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb