Big City Xela


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To the Fuentes Gorginas


While in Quetzaltenango (Xela) we weren't really sure what to do. It seemed like a good place to cross the border to, but we hadn't really done any research; and neither had anyone we traveled with.

It was a city: big and busy. We wandered on our first day, as we often do, looking for interesting things: markets, Spanish schools, a hat for Dan. We had good luck on the first two, not so good on the last one.

Upon recommendation from another traveler we looked into Celas Maya Spanish school and it seemed really good. Lots of activities in the afternoon to practice Spanish and get a better feel for Xela. They went on excursions to textile cooperatives, coffee plantations, the Fuentes Georginas (more below), and many other things you might not be able to do without the right contacts.

School was the next thing on our list, but a friend had been talking about taking an impromptu trip to meet us. Once we got word that he would for sure be coming down, we had to make plans about where to be, and Xela didn't seem like the best place to hang out. We decided to take a walk with Quetzal Trekkers to reach Lago Atitlán around the time we'd have company. Having planned on going to the Fuentes Georginas (hot springs) on the afternoon of March 13th we found out we needed to attend a trek meeting that night, and would have to do the Fuentes sooner. Our hostel had a contact that took us for GTQ115 each (transport, entrance, and 2.5hrs there). The hot pools were so peaceful. Our guide took us down to the ecological (less developed) pools down the hill that had a small creek with a waterfall running beside them. With only one other person there it was really nice. We chatted with him a little about the area and how he thought it was great for one's health. He showed us where to get to the small waterfall and stand underneath, leaning against the rocks. It was a great place and we never even made it up to the main pools up top. It would have been nice to spend an evening there, using the pools at our leisure during the night, but we didn't have time.

Back in Xela we got out gear and moved to the hostel with the same entrance as Quetzal Trekkers knowing that we'd have to be up early and not wanting to cross town. We went to the meeting where we met many of our 21 fellow trekkers, paid up, and got our loaner gear. The rest of the night was spent running around looking for an ATM to pay for the room that night, get extra water for the walk, and buy some sweaters for the cold nights we were expecting. We packed the bags we would take and the one we would have shipped to San Pedro. No need for us to carry any of our electronics (save cameras) and much of our other clothes when we had the borrowed sleeping gear and group food we also needed to carry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb