Dia a dia


Advertisement
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nothing too exciting has been happening over here. Just a lot of walking around and discovering new little things about our new home. We've been trying to get to the market as much as possible, so we can become acquainted with all the things they sell there. We bought a whole bunch of groceries yesterday and made a dish native to Guatemala (Xela, to be even more specific) called Jocon (there should be an accent over the second O, but I don't know how to type that). I'll upload some pictures of us making it. It's basically shredded chicken in a green sauce (cilantro, jalapenos, scallions, and tomatillos make the sauce green) some rice. It was super good - we both loved it.

We stayed away from the market today and explored the area right around Casa Xelaju instead. We found out we're so close to a lot of really cute cafes, some nice restaurants, and of course, a few bars. We found a supermarket type of place and bought some stuff we can't get at the mercado, like a type of milk that does not get refridgerated (updates on that later, I'm sure), cheetos (SO GOOD), and a sponge haha When we started walking around more we figured we deserved a tiny little snack 😊 We got empanadas and some plantain/fig thingy at a cafe nearby. Rog also got an espresso and I got a fancy looking cappuccino. After we left we walked around some more, just checking things out. Our daily rain came early so we got stuck in a downpour, but luckily there was a bar with a soccer game on waiting for us. We had a beer and cheered on Real Madrid (well... I cheered on Cristiano Ronaldo while Roger tried explaining rules of futbol to me). Oh! When one of the teams would score a goal, the announcer would hold out the word "GOL" for about 45 minutes (That's an exaggeration, but it was for a ridiculously long time). I don't know if it was the handful of beers or what, but it cracked me up every time.

On our walk home we somehow got stuck in a marching band. I don't even know what happened. We went to the sidewalk though and watched some high school marching band practice their music! Roger actually recorded it, but just the audio. We're still not sure how Guatemaltecos react to pictures being taken, so our picture taking has been very limited so far.

I'm going to try to load some pictures now, of the jocon, our apartment, and whatever else Rogelio took pics of.

Besos!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



26th September 2013

Your new home looks amazing! The view looking outside is so beautiful from the kitchen! I love all the windows you have and the space you have is so open, I love it! The jocon looks amazing too! Fun reading of your first couple days of adventures! Missing you both! Sending big hugs from Aaron and I!
26th September 2013

pics
Love all the awesome pics!! You both look great!!! Can't wait for pics of the people, and surrounding areas!! (When you feel safe enough to take them!!!) Stay safe!!!! Love you both TONS!! Enjoy every day to the fullest!!! <3
26th September 2013

Look at that view! It's amazing! Love your updates, keep them coming! So excited for you & Rog, xoxo (Andrew says: HI.)

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb