Shopping, shelter and visit to the "fábrica"


Advertisement
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There was finally some breathing time on Thursday. We shopped in a fair trade cooperative called "Trama" for souvenirs and visited a bit around Central park in the morning. In the afternoon, we went to a shelter for women and children victims of violence. Jocelyn, one of the coordinators, gave us a tour and we played with the children for a little bit. Gaetan and Alex found it difficult to see the kids. It never is fun to know that children have been hurt but at least Alex knows that the funds she raised will all be put to very good use.

After the visit, I took them up to a restaurant called El Panorama, not to eat but to see the view. Gaetan thought I was trying to give him a heart attack. It is a nice little hike up a few rather steep streets. I am sure I owed him some pain from when we were kids. We are probably even now!!!

In the evening we went to see the fiesta being set up in Central Park and we visited the old church. The air was warm and the city looked really pretty at night.

On Friday morning, we took the bus to see a little shop where they "blow" glass. It was so interesting to see the artisans at work and we probably overspent in the front store but everything looked so good.

They left in the afternoon for the long bus ride to the capital. Gaetan got bumped on Saturday on the last leg of their trip and should finally make it home today around 6PM.

I am now busy planning Steve's visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

FrancisFrancis
Francis

I did not know you has a business here!!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb