El Nahual Community Library Fundraiser


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Some of you will remember El Nahual, the school in Guatemala where we studied and volunteered for 5 weeks back in January and February. This is a very small community organisation which is working hard to give educational opportunities to local children for whom the public school system provides very little.

From seeing the work they do at first hand we know that they make a real difference to the life of many children in the area but they are always struggling to find the money to carry out new ideas. At the moment they are working hard to create a library for the children, many of whom cannot read or write and do not have access to books, so that they have somewhere they can sit and relax (.....!!) and READ!! They have just had a group of artists from California to visit who painted murals on the library walls with the kids - it now has a jungle theme (see the photos).

Although they have some resources, they desperately need more.

THE AVERAGE COFFEE FARMER IN GUATEMALA IS LUCKY TO EARN $2.50 A DAY………LET’S TRY AND COMPENSATE FOR THIS INEQUALITY……SKIP YOUR MORNING CAPPUCCINO AND BUY A GUATEMALAN CHILD A BOOK!!!

If you would like to help, you can do so by donating just $5.00 (about £2.50)

Click here to 'Click and Pledge for El Nahual'

El Nahual Website

This really is a worthwhile project and I can promise you that any money you donate will be put to very good use - the work is all carried out by volunteers and there are virtually no overheads as the school building is paid for by the profits from the language school.

¡Gracias a todos!

S + H xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th June 2008

Dig Deep!
"Every little helps" Looks like a very worth while cause!
30th June 2008

Great - thanks for the chance to contribute.

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb