Lizzie Bunny Ate a Bunny


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Getting from the airport to the bus and arriving in Xela where we just walked from the station two blocks to Bilma and Jorge's house, was easy, though mildly exhausting. So much of the rest of tuesday was spent sleeping and eating. Yesterday we meandered around though the municpal area and parque central for about 6hours. From about 8am until 2pm. Of course some of it as in confusion. And we went to the small and strange museum in the municipal area, along with the church there. The area was filled with men in hats, standing around talking. I could only imagine why these people where gathered at 830am on a wednesday morning just milling about. Later we found out that these were some of the many men across the country being paid a monthly pension. Their money is from the volunteer work they did to protect the general population from crimes being committed by the soldiers during the civil war. Bilma doesn't really agree with this compensation because although they did a great thing for the people, they never expected this money which is now a burden of an already poor country. She says that this money could be better put to use in hospitals that are without medicine and schools that are without desks. That was a very interesting part of yesterday's walking. Then we went to school at 2pm, too tired to be very serious. Heh... but what is with that title.... well the first meal i had in Bilma's house had two types of meat on the table. They wouldn't tell us what it was until we ate it... let me tell you Bunny has a strange slimy texture! Lizzie Bunny ate bunny! We've done some information gathering about prices of different things as well as travel to Tikal. This Saturday we are planning on going to Huehuetenango and on sunday to Chichicastenango for their market day. Our plans are slowly solidifying... and my spanish seems to be coming back pretty easily. Have i missed anything interesting.. PROBABLY.. but most importantly we are safe and seeing Xela while we are here! Hope all is well with you!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb