Cowboys and Chicken Little


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Here's a great travel tip: If you want a real feel for a culture make sure your hotel is right next to an elementary school. All this week starting before 8 in the morning and continuing till after dark the place was jumping.
One day there were about 60 or so 4,5,and 6 year olds lined up. Boys on one side of the street, girls on the other. They were all dressed in cowboy/ girl gear( plaid shirts, lassos, fake chaps, painted on mustaches, bandanas and ten gallon hats). Some had fringe material sewn onto their shirts or pants. All were holding homemade wooden stick ' horses'. These were broom stick handles with all variety of heads: stryrofoam, wood, paper, paper mache' and a couple of fuzzy pink slippers sewn together and stuffed to look like a, well, fuzzy pink horse. The creativity was amazing. Parents lined up on both sides of the street proudly pointing out their child. Traffic stopped while the children marched or galloped into the school yard where they were welcomed by the older children. It was their first day of school. Some looked a but apprehensive and overwhelmed but most seemed happy. There wasn't a 'first day tear' in sight.
A couple of days later we awoke to the sound of firecrackers and drums, lots of drums. The school band was out on the street marching complete with a drum major and majorettes. On this day the entire school seemed to be marching. There were the little ones in fish or sea costumes. The next class were all dressed as scarecrows. Lots of plaid shirts and pieces of hay sticking out of sleeves. The theme seemed to be 'Chicken Little' but it made no sense to me. One entire class had bright yellow plastic cups cut to look like beaks and attached to their faces with elastics. On their head were frilly chicken comb feathery things.
Pulling up the rear of the parade were the kids with decorated bikes and finally a truck carrying the Queen. She graciously threw pieces of candy to those on the sidelines. The parade wound all through the town. Music and drums and, yes, fireworks, continued till at least 8 a night. We were told it was the school's anniversary.
My theory is that the 'powers that be' are trying to make school a fun, exciting, and desirable place to be. Many of the children here start selling things on the street as young as 4. Many have to work in the fields or shine shoes. Everyone in the poorer families has to contribute in order that they can eat. So a child being in school is a great luxury. Not only does it cost to send them ( books and uniforms) but it takes them away from earning money.
Well, this week the entire town knew all about the school and saw how happy the kids were. And speaking of kids, thanks to all those who donated to buy books for a child for a year ( $15). We raised almost enough for 100 kids! Fantastic!!
Carolyn

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb