Lake Atitlán


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lake AtitlanLake AtitlanLake Atitlan

Nightfall at Lake Atitlan. Volcano San Lucas Toliman in the distance.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Today I took a bus to the old capital of Guatemala, called Antigua Guatemala. This colonial era capital still has cobblestone streets and lacks the bustle of the new capital. I was only here long enough to have a cup of coffee at Caffe Opera and catch a shuttle bus to Panajachel. The bus was scheduled to leave at 12:30 however we had to go to a garage and switch to a larger bus to accommodate all the passengers that had signed up for the trip.

We traveled about 3 hours and the views of the lake from the eastern side were spectacular. I was not able to take any pics since I was squished in between some Swiss travelers.

Upon arriving in Panajachel, I popped into a little cafe for a quick bite to eat. I then found a room at Rooms El Rosario. Quite a nice little budget place right on the lake front. However, most of the lake front in this town is now occupied with cafes and restaurants.

The lake is really beautiful. It is a natural lake surrounded by volcanoes. All of these are dormant for the time
Lake AtitlanLake AtitlanLake Atitlan

Nightfall at Lake Atitlan. Looking west towards the villages of San Pedro and San Juan.
being at least. The lake has no visible outlet, only underground drainage into cave systems it is expected. The lake used to be a great source of fish for the T'zutujil and K'achikel people that live among the 12 - 15 lakeside villages. However, after the introduction of black bass into the lake some time back, most of the small fish populations have been eliminated by the more elusive and difficult to catch black bass. You still see men in small boats made out of wooden planks fishing the waters near the shore.

The lake is estimated to be over 1000 feet deep. When you swim in the lake, the beach steeply goes off into a clear abyss. The water at this time of year was actually not to cold to swim in but, too cold to stay too long.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

I woke up this morning and prepared my things to hang out at the lake all day. Afterall it is my birthday and I wanted no more than to read a good book and relax at the lake. The weather cooperated beautifully. It was slightly overcast with white puffy clouds, and not too
Lake Atitlan FishermanLake Atitlan FishermanLake Atitlan Fisherman

A fisherman in his small boat. Notice the wave made by the afternoon winds called "xocomil".
hot. However, the clouds never really liftted so that I could capture the distant volcanoes in some pics. The clouds made this lake look very mystical, especially as the sun began to set.

The Mayans believe this lake is sacred. Santiago Atitlan is a village that is on the soutwestern side of the lake. The lake is surounded by three large volcanoes. The deep blue and often turquoise or green waters reflect the three volcanoes that tower above the lake.

To the Mayan people, the crystalline waters represent a sea before the world as we know it emerged.

The three volcanoes represent the three stones of a hearth, still in use in Mayan homes today for cooking. The god of corn or Maize God placed these three "stones" in the cosmic hearth at the time of creation. The Mayan inhabitants today still refer to the lake as "the navel of the earth," the center of all creation.

The Mayan people still today, give parts of their houses names that represent human body parts. The houses are generally one room made of wood and having thatched roofs. Always in the center of the room of these houses,
Lake AtitlanLake AtitlanLake Atitlan

Sun setting.
you will find a fire pit for cooking. This fire pit contains three large stones as a hearth to steady cooking pots or tortilla griddles called "comals". This firepit represents the umbilicus of the house. The Maya also use the fire pit to bury important items. When a baby is born, the umbilical cord is also buried deep under the fire pit. Even today, many Mayan people when asking where a person is from, will ask "Where is your umbilical cord buried?"

So I am here today on my birthday, reflecting on everything. It was 41 years ago that I came into this world in Fort Worth, Texas, so I guess I would have to say that is were my umbilical cord ended up, as I am pretty sure Mom didn't bury it in her kitchen. :-) Home is always going to be that county road in Burleson, even though I live in Houston and often find myself traveling to other places.

Today is also Thanksgiving Day in the United States, so I am also thinking about all the people, things, and animals that I am thankful for.
I am so very thankful for all of my family
FishermanFishermanFisherman

After sunset a fisherman paddles by.
and friends.

Friday, November 28, 2008

I took the bus back to Guatemala City.

Well I will close this blog for now and upload a few photos.

Next Stop -- Coffee Plantation


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Lake AtitlanLake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan

Lake during the day.
Sololá marketSololá market
Sololá market

As I passed through Sololá, it was market day.
Sololá market Sololá market
Sololá market

Market day in Sololá.
Sololá marketSololá market
Sololá market

Market day in Sololá.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb