A beautiful dream.....Lago Atitlan and Antigua


Advertisement
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

PanajachelPanajachelPanajachel

View of San Pedro from Panajachel...this picture was taken with Angela's camera...
PANAJACHEL
Left Lanquin/El Retiro together with Eline, Angela, Sarah and Liz at 6am in the morning and took a chicken bus to Coban. And from Coban we hopped on another bus to to Guatemala City before reaching our final destination, a little town called Panajachel located around the lake known as Lago Atitlan.

Guatemala City itself is not a really safe place to be in, even during the day. We had to get off the streets and hop on to another bus immediately or risk being mugged.
Quite a stressfull experience and thankfully we managed to pass through unscathed.
After god knows how many hours, we arrived in Panajachel safe and sound.

I liked Panajachel as it was a little town with loads of stalls on the streets selling knick knacks which were a steal. And it felt safe.

We stayed in Marios place, a quaint little hotel with hot showers and a view of the volcanos. The weather was really nice and cool. Apparently, i was told that this place is known as the land of eternal spring as the weather is constantly cool and sunny, like in spring.

2 days later, I took a boat
San PedroSan PedroSan Pedro

Having breakfast at San Pedro over looking Lake Atitlan
across the lake to a little town called San Pedro and joined Angela, Liz and Sarah and enrolled in a Spanish school there for a week.
It was incredibly cheap learning Spanish in San Pedro Spanish School. Cost us only
US$56 for 20 hours of one-on-one Spanish lessons.

It was surprising to see a little town like San Pedro filled with nice little cafe's and modern amenities. Most times we ate at Tin-tins, Shanti-shanti and Dino's (where we could watch movies at night) which served incredible food.
My favourite topic...food.....We were pleasantly surpised and excited to see Asian food on the menu. Things like Indonesian Nasi Goreng (fried rice), Pad Thai noodles, Chinese Spring rolls and loads of other tasty fare. We ate and ate...

One morning, I decided to take a climb up Volcan San Pedro. Paid a guide to take me up and it turned out to be the most exhaustive hike I had ever done in my life.
This inactive Volcano was 3485 metres above sea level and it took me 3 hours to reach the top and 1.5 hours to hike back down! I nearly died... ha ha
But it was worth it! I
Volcan San PedroVolcan San PedroVolcan San Pedro

Coffee beans planted along the route up to the inactive Volcano San Pedro
was rewarded with the view of the lake and its spectacular volcanic mountain side which left me speechless....

ANTIGUA
It was a few days before Christmas and I figured that Antigua might be nice place to be in during that time. Took a direct shuttle to Antigua which took only a little over 2 hours.
Checked into the Black Cat hostel which was located in the heart of the town.
This hostel provided a bed for only US$5 a night and we could actually pick our own breakfast from their alacarte menu in the morning. Fantastic breakfast and value for money.

Spent the next few days partying in Antigua. Antigua felt a little European with loads of history and romantic sights.

Climbed up yet another Volcano called Pacaya which was active but not as high as Volcan San Pedro. Got to see some lava ambers and cooled lava which felt like charcoal under your feet. Watched the sunset and roasted marshmellows over the hot lava amber which was delicious.


I had originally planned to spend Christmas in Antigua. But my plans changed as I had to follow the "flow" and Emilie whom I met in Guanajuato Mexico invited me over to
Miami Florida and said that there were many things happening there that I was looking for. And so, before you know it, I booked a ticket and left Antigua for Cancun via San Cristobal (Mexico) and took a flight out of Cancun to Florida four days before Christmas.....


All in all, Guatemala was a pleasant surprise and an incredible experience.
I am so glad that I did this leg of Central America. Great weather, amazing views of the countryside, entertaining company of travel buddies and memories that would bring a smile and leave me with a sense of achievement everytime I think of Guatemala....
......Just like a beautiful dream you wake up to, one that leaves you with a smile....






Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Volcan San PedroVolcan San Pedro
Volcan San Pedro

A little bit of heaven...
Volcan San PedroVolcan San Pedro
Volcan San Pedro

I made it....3485 metres above sea level
San PedroSan Pedro
San Pedro

Taking the boat across from Panajachel to San Pedro...
San Pedro San Pedro
San Pedro

having tea in Shanti Shanti Cafe with the gals from Australia....Sarah, Liz and Angela
San Pedro San Pedro
San Pedro

with Liz, Sam, Sarah and Angela in a cafe in San Pedro..
San Pedro San Pedro
San Pedro

Town of San Pedro...pic from Angela\'s camera
San Pedro San Pedro
San Pedro

our hostel in San Pedro...pic from Angela's camera
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

..the infamous chicken buses
The "chicken bus" The "chicken bus"
The "chicken bus"

...this is what its like being in a chicken bus.....picture from Angela's camera..
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

streets in Antigua paved with Volcanic rocks..
Volcan PacayaVolcan Pacaya
Volcan Pacaya

...Halfway up to Volcano Pacaya
Volcan PacayaVolcan Pacaya
Volcan Pacaya

with Sam, Liz, Sarah and Angela near the top of Volcano Pacaya...
Volcan PacayaVolcan Pacaya
Volcan Pacaya

Chasing the sun set of Volcano Pacaya.
Volcan PacayaVolcan Pacaya
Volcan Pacaya

Tranquility found among the clouds and volcanic mountains...
Volcan PacayaVolcan Pacaya
Volcan Pacaya

Toasting marshmellows over the hot lava ambers of Volcano Pacaya...it was really tasty
Partying in AntiguaPartying in Antigua
Partying in Antigua

Sam the most sporting English man around..."got funked"
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

Its Sarah's turn to get "funked"....Me Sarah and Sam clowning around in our drunken stupor...


23rd February 2007

Great pictures
Your pictures look so amazing Edgar and funny to see Sam in your pictures who I remember from Caye Caulker! Missing all the travelling now and wish I could go off again soon - any plans!!??
24th February 2007

never ending travel-fun, hä?!!!
tststs, soooo funny edgar... I was watching your beautiful pics and who do i find? ANGELA and her girls. I'd love to hang around with you guys - send my love to ang and have funfunfun!!! actually - we gonna meet up with mc guyver, mario and who ever wants to come too - in amsterdam on the 10th of april! you are all invited!!! hugs - Kristina
24th February 2007

All sounds lovely
What an experience you must be having and enjoying! Nick will be envying you. You are one step ahead and hope you keep it that way in all aspects. Love Aunty Nana

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb