Pat - The Markets


Advertisement
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Volcan and San PedroVolcan and San PedroVolcan and San Pedro

This is a pic of the volcano right above the village we´re staying in for 2 weeks to learn more spanish.
Ok, so we went to the markets Chichicastenango, which i think is one of the largest in Guatemala. To get there we had to twist and turn along some pretty amazing roads within view of 3 volcanoes in the area. The markets were incredible!! haha you have ppl EVERYWHERE offering you everything you can imagine. From traditional Mayan "Trajes" to tin buckets that you would never use but they want you to buy anyways. We were 9 ppl as we´ve been travelling with Emilie for the last while and 2 girls from Holland, a guy from france and another from montreal (he lives on my grandmothers street in NDG!!).

OH yeah!! haha before i go on. Little side story, the weirdest thing ever happened to me while staying in San Pedro. I was giving someone info. on where to stay in town for about 10 minutes when she said the word ¨visited¨ but pronounced it like ¨Wisited¨....and i was like ¨wow your accent reminds me of some friends from switzerland that we had when living in Australia¨. So we ended up talking a bit more and it turns out she was in australia at the same time. hmmmmmmmmmm Then i looked at her a bit more and for some reason i got a flash of her standing with a friend of mine. So i was like ....do you know fabian??? and she´s like YES....and i was like holly shit, YOU STAYED AT OUR HOUSE IN AUSTRALIA!!! It turns out that she was the gf of some friends that vicki and i had made in oz and whom stayed at our house for 4 days! They even made dinner for us hahaha. I couldn´t believe it!! haha (Hey vicki, turns out it was issie, fabian´s gf...holly shit eh!!!)

anyways, so back to the markets. Things there were sooo soo cheep (unless you have Emilie´s taste in stuff, she dropped almost 600Q in ten minutes). Ok, the best example i can give so you can have a comparison would be lunch: large plate of fried chicked with rice and vegetable salid, enough to fill me up come out to be less than 2$ CAN.

Initially i thought i had more to say about these markets, turns out I don´t. haha. TAke a look at the pics and they´ll describe more than i can.....






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Chico en su tienda..Chico en su tienda..
Chico en su tienda..

one of the million little market stalls..
Pat and GirlPat and Girl
Pat and Girl

This is a pic of a girl who followed me and Germ around for about 15 minutes trying to get us to buy little dolls from her. We bought some cause she was so cute. hehe. I ended up talking with her for a while when waiting for our bus. When i said i had to go she wouldn´t let go of my hand and she kept on insisting that i stay in Chichicastenango with her.


27th February 2007

Ciao.
Vi penso sempre - mi mancate molto. Oggi o fatto delle pizzelle - pero ci manca i vostri denti per macinarli. Grazie per le fotografie che ci fate veder con tanta gioia. U abraccio, un saluto e un bacione forte. La vostra Nonna.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb