A cave float on the Candelaria River


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent two nights and a day at a community run encampment in Mucbilha´l which was a recharger after two nights in the town of Coban. The people of Mucbilha´l were wonderful hosts and very warm. We slept in Mayan type structures with a thatched roofs and a moskito net over every bed; very exotic. Food was provided and cooked over a wood fire in the camp kitchen, we got to eat rice, beans, eggs, and a turkey soup called kack-kik that Scooter pronounced the best soup in the world. To drink we had a "tea" made from roasted coco beans served warm and very sweet. We were lead on a guided tourof two caves, one dry and one wet. The dry cave was about an hour tour and was packed full of caving wonders in a relatively short time. We saw stalagtites and stalagmites "curtains", bats and a huge cavern with garden inside. The wet cave was after lunch and we accesed the cave by floating down the river on inner tubes with a flash light strapped to a helmet on our heads. It was like floating through huge natural cathedrals with naves opened only when we turned our heads from one wonder to another, well worth the effort to get here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb