Temple Pyramids in the Jungle


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The pictures from my visit to the famous maya site Tikal I have mainly colored in sepia. I think this represents best the mood I found the place in during the foggy days of the monsoon season.
Imagine how the sun three hours after dawn just manages to burn away enough humidity from the night that some rays of light can touch the tree tops through the clouds. In the distance a group of howler monkeys can be heard traveling by. A startled Toucan swings away through the green. Wandering between the mighty roots of the jungle I dicover the mighty stone fortresses with their steep stairs rising to the jungle roof. Some of them are still thickly owergrown, the rainy air smells from the humid ground, the fresh cut wood of some recently choped mahogany trees, and the variety of plants around.
On the central plaza a green lawn has been restored, some carved stone tables once used for sacrifice are strewn around. It is hard to imagine that this peaceful place should have been a vivid maya city a long time ago...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View From Temple IVView From Temple IV
View From Temple IV

Looking over the tree tops you see the other temples peak out of the misty jungle.
Jungle PathwayJungle Pathway
Jungle Pathway

The whole archeological site is still overgrown by jungle. This means a constant fight to keep the structures and pathways free.
Jungle PlantsJungle Plants
Jungle Plants

Some of the temples are still overgrown.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb