Pretending to be Indiana Jones - Julie


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

And for our next adventure, we are taking a 5 day trek into the jungle to see the Mayan ruins of El Mirador!

I hadn´t heard of this trip until we actually arrived here in Flores. A sign at our hostel announced a 5 day jungle trek to visited a recently discovered Mayan city. Of course, my curiosity was aroused! Turns out to be a place under excavation and hard to get because there is no drivable road, only a mule trail. Or you could be like that loser Mel Gibson and helicopter there. But where´s the fun in that?

As we starting talking about it around the hostel we realized that quite a few people wanted to do this trip. It´s going to quite the international crew: 3 Americans, 2 Irish, 2 Dutch, 1 Brit and 1 Finn plus 4 Guatamalans and 4 mules. We have to take all our food and water for 5 days, because there is no water or food on the trail, unless we turn cannibal.

We leave at 5am tommorow, and have to hike 63 km (40 mi) to get there. I cannot wait! I will update when we get back. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and eat some turkey for me. I´ll be on a beans and rice diet until we get back.

Advertisement



23rd November 2010

Important Tip
Remember not to take any idols from platforms unless you are able to quickly and seamlessly substitute a bag of dirt of the same weight before you are caught in a trap.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb