Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left San Cristobal, in Mexico, by minibus and picked up an English couple who were moving house to Guatemala, by using public transport- not the best idea. This became very interesting when we had to change to a smaller bus at the border. We finally arrived at Lake Atitlan, planning to have a nice meal and a few beers, only to discover our bank cards didn't work- this led to tearful tantrums on the phone to Barclays, thinking they had stopped our cards, only to discover that visa debit is not a concept Guatemalan banks understand- thank goodness for Richard's Barclaycard and wine!!!! We treated ourselves to a night in a gorgeous, peaceful cliff-face hotel on the lake, above our budget, but beautiful.
We then got a first class overnight bus to Flores, which we had to catch from a dodgy bus terminal, where our paranoid states convinced us that everyone was a potential bag snatcher. We finally got on our airconditioned, spacious bus and fell asleep, only to be woken at 4.30 am as the wheel had fallen off. So we were herded into an overcrowded, hot local bus- not sure that was worth 40$.
We arrived in Flores- not that we can tell you when as we have completely lost track of time and our only need for time is to work out which day is Saturday, so we can take our Malaria tablets. Flores was far too hot and although we never thought we'd say it, we wanted English weather.
We went to Tikal to visit the ancient Mayan ruins in the jungle. Being spanners didn't take enough money and had to grovel to a kind German to give us our entry fee. Tikal was amazing, monkeys, Toucans and Mayan temples poking out of the jungle canopy. Weirdest, weirdest sound ever- the noise of Howler monkeys screaming at each other- eeriest thing we've ever heard. Now we're in Belize but that is the next chapter.....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb