Tikal is an absolutely amazing Mayan site


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our GAP group opted for the "sunset tour" for Tikal. We left Flores about noon in 2 vans and it took about 1 hour to reach Tikal. Parque Nacional Tikal is huge and right in the jungle -350 sq. kms. containing thousands of separate structures. Our Tour Guide Miguel was amazing. He gave us rich descriptions of Mayans settling here around 700 BC and shared stories and personal insights into the Mayan ways. He was also an expert on the flora and the fauna. We learned whiich plants were good for medicinal uses. He spotted toucans for us -yes Elwyn we saw toucans just like on your postcard! And many other birds too -so beautiful. And we saw spider monkeys swinging and dancing form tree to tree! We listened for howler moneys but no luck seeing or hearing them today.

Miguel led us through the jungle to different temples -we climbed 3 of these - and the final one was Temple IV from which vantage point we saw the sunset - spectacular! Miguel then treated us to a jungle walk in the dark...listening to the sounds...very magical.....An incredible day on an incredible site! A privilege to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

TIKAL 38TIKAL 38
TIKAL 38

It was so humbling to sit on these ancient Mayan stones and think of their long ago past


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb