Puerto Quetzel, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

docked at puerto quetzal early in the am and had to wait for a cargo ship to leave. there was a very large white ship also that said Peace Boat and we found out it was a japanese cruise ship. We wee transported by bus to the other dock where we met our guide Jeremy and driver Manuel. We first drove 45 minutes to a coffee plantation which was family owned and sold locally by the cotton bag full. Next was San Antonio Agua Caliente. Very old and very poor city. got out for a few minutes for pics of the local church (the one that was still standing) and to shop for local handicrafts and watch the women weave cloth. This town is a Unesco site. Next on to a Macadamia nut farm. this was fascinating and the inventions of the man who started it in 1975 to shell the nuts was amazing. It is a flat tire around metal connected to a pully to turn two pieces of metal and it takes the hull off the nut. It is powered by a 5 HP lawnmower. Next is a slanted contraption with wires at different widths that sorts the nuts by size into bags. I will add pics later. On to Antigua- the former colonial capital of Guatemala. Changed about 300 years ago aftera big earthquake that destroyed most of the town. Toured the Hotel Santa Domingo that used to be a convent. Still much statuary there. it was set up for a wedding in the church portion and looked quite elegant. Last major earthquake in guatemala was in 1977 but they have minor ones regularly. Then we wandered the plaza and were accosted by many trying to sell their wares. Back to the ship 1/2 hour before sailing. Someone was late getting back to the ship so we sailed out 45 minutes late. the statendam was in port with us. They have lost AC on one whole side of the ship and the ship is also having mechanical problems so they stayed in port for a while and their stop in panama is cancelled. Early dinner at la cucina and toni wore down. I played trivia and caught the end of the cabaret show. nite all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb