Monterrico and beyond...


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again,

Well you will have to hang tight for pictures. Apparently i didnt pack the cord that connects the camera to the computer, so until i find one in one of the many markets (yes they will have one, the markets have everything) you are out of luck for pictures. But we are taking some, mostly alot of mental pictures though.

So, we left Antigua on.... ummm on friday? Im starting to loose the days already. We headed south to Monterrico. Again, on the crazy chicken bus. They call it the chicken bus, because as you can imagine, they transport chickens on them. It smells. Bad. So went from Antigua to a town called Escuintla. A busy smelly transport town, where we were shoved off the bus, packs thrown on to the roof of the next bus, and we crammed onto the next bus in a matter of 45 secs..

Finally after about 3.5 hours of hot sticky, stinky sweaty people touching us we arrived at a ferry crossing.. Its a small river where the whole chicken bus drives on to a small boatbarge and we put put down the river for about 30-40minutes. Finally after this we have made it to Monterrico!!!! It could not have been a better feeling. Laurens bladder agreed.

Monterrico is so beautiful. A beach resort, where the pacific crashes onto black sand left from volcanoes. Truly magical. The whole place is filled with music and hostels with hammocks swinging in the front. We stayed at a place called Brista del Mar. It had a super awesome clean room, with an outdoor swimming pool. The water was as warm as a bath, but even in this heat, it refreshed us some how. We relaxed there for 2 days. Met alot of other travellers, and even went out for dinner with a couple!

Well now we had to head out of there. There was no way we were going to do the chicken bus all over again on the same trip. So some how, by chance a guy that we had met offered to take us and another denmark girl to Antigua for about 4 bucks. Sounds like a great deal! This guy was wierd. WIERD... but nice nonetheless. Either way he drove us there for cheap. So back in Anitgua we hop on a chicken bus to Panajachel. I wont bore you with the crazy antics on this chicken bus ride, but trust me, they are nothing more than ridiculous.

Panajachel is amazing. We met another Canadian couple on the bus and hung out with them last night. Luis and Karen. Had some pizza and than sat around at the hostel and had some rums and card games. We awoke to an amazing sunrise and views of Lake Atitlan. This lake is the view of postcards. So beautiful. It is surrounded by volcanoes and several little towns around it. We heading to a town called San Pedro de la Laguna, via a small boat packed to the brim, obviously. This place has to be our favorite thus far. The people are full of smiles and everyone says hello. The strong scent of patchuli and nag champa burn in the steep hillside roads. Its very hippie, very trendy and very cool. There is a magic here, a peace, everyone has their own little gardens, and small paths through them connect cafes and restuarants along the lake side. The hippies are making crafts and selling them, and the locals are in their traditional mayan clothing speaking ancient mayan languages. There is something like 23 different languages around here, and i was having enough trouble with spanish. Eesh.

Well Lauren looks bored on the other computer, so i should go. This was a nice break from the heat and constant drive to always be doing something. We felt a little ill today, but nothing serious. We are looking forward to a couple days here to just relax and plan our next leg. We know we are heading towards Semuc Champey and possibly Rio Dulce, then on to Belize!

Thanks for taking time out of your days to read about our adventure. Sorry about the pics, but honestly, its nice to not be around a computer too much. But i will keep the blog updated, as will Lauren.

Love you all,

Al and Lauren!

Advertisement



5th July 2008

Brings back lots of memories!!
Hi you two! Your mom gave me your website Alan, so I will be travelling along with you in my mind. Your Mom and I have so many wonderful memories of our travels in Europe, and as you know, still laugh about some of our experiences; same bus, different stinky people. Have lots of fun, but use your common sense, and enjoy it to the fullest, for the sobering thought is that you will probably never walk that way again, and the pictures and memories you have will have to last you for your lifetime. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb