Rio Dulce


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend I went to Rio Dulce, which means "sweet river" in Spanish. It's a beautiful stretch of river which connects to the Caribbean sea. We stayed in a hotel in the jungle in cabins on stilts, right on the river. Me, my friend Corina and our guide Rhet (who has been giving us capoeira lessons too - it's kind of a mix of dance and martial arts, way too graceful for me but still fun) got up at 5.00 on Saturday to go kayaking and see monkeys. Sadly it rained and we had to turn back in case the kayaks filled up! After a lazy morning we set out in the kayaks again to visit a fort, but got caught in another downpour on the way back!

On Sunday the sun came out and we took a boat ride down the river to the town of Livingston, stopping to visit some caves on the way. Part of the journey was through amazing jungle-walled canyon. Livingston, located on the mouth of the river, was a pretty town with some nice beaches on the Caribbean Sea, though Rhet seemed convinced it was a nasty, dangerous place...we did see a few dodgy looking characters, but enjoyed the visit. It was a long bus trip back to Antigua (with some arguments over the seat-numbering) but a fun weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb