Guatemala - Thoughts from Playa Blanca


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thoughts from Playa Blanca - by guest bloggers Heather and Jane



All that could be heard was the lapping of the warm Caribbean waves and the gentle snoring of our friend Steve. Suddenly, we heard a shuffling sound. We looked up to see Steve’s shoes sidling towards the water’s edge in an attempt to drown themselves in shame. ‘Stop, stop - don’t do it’ we shouted ‘we’ll never get Steve home in one piece if you go - if you don’t protect his feet, anything could happen!’.

We should explain why this extraordinary event was occurring. A couple of days ago, our group was boarding the minibus from Antigua to Flores when it became apparent that a foul stench was emanating from a plastic bag on Steve’s lap. The British stiff upper lip trembled, and the usual reluctance to mention such matters disappeared in a cloud of malodour. ‘What the hell is THAT?’ the group shrieked with one voice. Steve reddened and shamefacedly admitted that it was his shoes. ‘I could put them on the roof rack’ he said - a suggestion that received tumultuous agreement.

Sadly, their journey on the roof did not improve the shoes’ acceptability to the rest of the world, nor did the several scrubbings and the sun-scorching that they were subjected to. On arrival in Flores, Steve’s roommate refused to allow them in the room and suggested that the shoes paid the single supplement and got their own. ..............

In due course however, the shoes were indeed rescued from the waves. Before they were returned to their owner they agreed to try a session of Shoe Hydrophilia Integration Therapy from the group's resident therapist. The results were astounding!

Steve and his shoes were reunited. Imagine his delight when he realised that they were no longer filled with shame (nor indeed malodour). He kissed them with fervour.







Rounded, grounded and marinated the shoes and their owner relaxed amongst the waves ......................



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



19th August 2010

whereissteve
Great Blog and the pics are ace. Well, what on earth happened to your shoes....ha! ha! ha! We enjoyed reading the Central American Caribbean, Guatemala, Livingston adventures. wish we were there..
19th August 2010

Thank you for your comments, Kam. We will be back with more tales of Steve (and his shoes) in due course ....................... Heather and Jane x

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb