From Flores to Livingston to Utila


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cute boatsCute boatsCute boats

At the Rio Dulce dock.
From Flores, we travelled straight to Utila, an island off the Caribbean coast of Honduras. It was quite a complicated trek, but we didn't stop anywhere on the way. We are on a tight schedule now - only ten days left in Central America!

We took a bus from Flores to Rio Dulce, a small town on the bank of the large Rio Dulce which runs west-east through Guatemala to the ocean. We then took a boat collectivo down the Rio Dulce to the ocean. This is a small boat with about twelve passengers. Everyone's backpacks are piled in the prow, which made for a very weighted-down vessel; we soon realized that it would be a very wet ride, as the boat had a tendency to smack down heavily into oncoming waves. We took few pictures, as we were busy being deluged. At the end of the ride we all looked as though we had capsized. The trip was beautiful though - the Rio Dulce changes from wide, open water to narrow lagoon with lily pads, to narrower tree-lined canyon with white herons perched in high branches. There were many water birds - black, brown and white herons, little ducks, and pelicans flying past the boat.

The boat ride ended in Livingston, a city on the mouth of the river with a Jamaican feel. We spent a night here and left at dawn in another boat taxi, heading down the coast for an hour's ride (less wet this time). From a small port town we took a shuttle across the Guatemala-Honduras border to La Ceiba. From here, we caught a ferry to Utila, one of Honduras' three Bay Islands. There, our friend Alice (who we travelled with for a bit in Mexico) was waiting for us at the dock. What a fantastic surprise!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Canyon Canyon
Canyon

We only managed one picture in the canyon; it was very wet.
CoastCoast
Coast

On the boat from Livingston.
Sunrise on the boatSunrise on the boat
Sunrise on the boat

We had to get up so early... but a Caribbean sunrise is worth it.


2nd March 2009

hola mariposa y paloma
Hello0 sisters how you doing?? oh!! why am i so oaf?? haha it looks like you´re having a funny time ahhaha great. good fo0r you!! so..while you`´re having the best time i´m like a slave haha i have a lot of homework and sometimes i have no time to sleep.... i lo0ve iu and i miss iu with loo0ve Elbish
19th February 2010

thanks for information
in 3 weeks I will do the same way from Flores to Utila to take a boat seems to be a really good idea do you remember cost of this trip? I wonder if not to take flight there but is soooo complicated... I will follow your website, you can see mine but it is in polish :))) www.freetimepassion.wordpress.com

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb