From Livingston on


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Casa Perico (our place in Rio Dulce) we took the lancha across Lake Izabal and down the river to the town of Livingston, which is very different from the rest of Guatemala. The majority of people in Livingston are of African decent... the Garifuna. The majority of people there spoke Spanish, their own Garifuna language, and English with a caribbean accent. ...I have never heard so much Bob Marley in my life. We had a great time, which I must attribute much of to Emily and her friend Karim, who is Garifuna from Livingston. Without Karim, I don't know if we would have found the beach we went swimming at, which was a 10 minute taxi drive and a 10 minute walk away to a little hut on a dock with hammocks and lots of wind. Karim also took us out dancing...we missed the Merengue and salsa and bachata (for which I was anxiously awaiting all night)...but we had a great time moving out booties to punta and reggaeton all night long. All the discotecas are on the beach, so whenever we got hot dancing on the floor, we would go out on the dock right outside and dance on the dock. Already wet from sweating so much, it felt great when the waves started splashing us and the rain started falling on us! It felt unreal. Definitely a highlight. Now we are in Poptun at a place called Finca Ixobel (it is now just Pat and I again), and we enjoyed a gigantic veggie buffet last night, as well as a good game of ping-pong (Greg would be proud...I won!) There was also a huge beetle (?) in our room last night that squirted Pat with some clear gunk as he was trying to get it out of the room. hahaha.
Today we are off to a town on Lake Peten Itza called El Remate...and tomorrow we will soend the day at Tikal!!!! Woohoo!


Advertisement



9th June 2008

Awesome, Steph! Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures! I love you!
10th June 2008

awesome times!
Sweating, waves splashing, and rain falling... sounds exhilarating! Reminded me of one unreal experiences I've had myself...
26th June 2008

Sounds like your having a blast, glad you're still getting your Marley Fix down south!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb